Those that want to leave the shore can book a whale watching tour to see the ocean’s most majestic creatures. Telephone: 604-251-7447 Toll Free: 1-877-433-2628 Fax: 604-251-7449. I just started one in January and appreciate your detailed content. Just an FYI that some of the areas are environmentally sensitive. Advisory. Check out the videos below and plan your journey, not your destination. Custom fit for your boat in most cases, to … Helpful. Answer 1 of 5: So, I was wondering people's thoughts on doing the PMCR as a four-day cycling trip. We did the whole trip (missed Delicious in Shirley, camper speed was to high ). There also aren’t any crazy sharp turns so having a longer rig and a tow vehicle should be fine. Head south on Highway 1 into the South Cowichan communities of Cobble Hill—home of BC’s first cidery—and then to Mill Bay. Instead we stayed one night at the cabins at Wild Renfrew. In order to get back to Victoria you’ll have to climb up and over the Malahat Summit. All non-essential travel into, out of, and around BC should be avoided. amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "happiestout07-20"; Agree that Port Renfrew is absolutely amazing. But we recommend neighbouring Juan de Fuca precisely because it is not the WCT.. If you just do the part up to Cowichan Lake, you won’t have seen much of the route. If you have more time, hike some of the Coastal Trail. We've got 10 easy trails in Pacific Rim National Park Reserve ranging from 0.9 to 5.1 miles and from 13 to 433 feet above sea level. The perfect one-day drive, the Pacific Marine Circle Route takes you through West Coast beaches and parks and ancient old-growth forests. amzn_assoc_ad_mode = "manual"; Check out some of the vacation packages offered by BC Ferries. Alaska Air Cargo. ), When I was planning my trip I found all kinds of cute cabins on Airbnb, but I waited too long and they were all booked up! PCT623. I stayed for three days but I but have liked to remain for a long time, excellent review and guide – thanks Taryn, Taryn, thanks for all the information!! You don’t have to go far in BC to really get out into the wilds and off the grid. Hi Preethi, The southern most section of the JDF to Mystic Beach is a good option. Join us at Cowichan Bay Kayaking and Adventure Centre for a tour of the Cowichan Estuary in kayaks or canoes. If you want a mountain hike, head up the steep trail to Mount Finlayson. Pacific Rim National Park Reserve offers a West Coast experience steeped in nature and history. Everything was serene, majestic, soothing. Just take it slow and you’ll be fine. Fairy Lake is just outside Port Renfrew. We serve as the blogging home to more than 150 AT thru-hikers, as well as a hub of resources and advice. Follow the signs to the park via East Sooke Road and Beecher Bay Road. Prefer fishing? The parking lot is just off the highway. Have a look – would be great if you could attach it to your article. This trail is actually part of the Great Trail a.k.a. The trails in the park are popular with local residents and accessible year-round. The true personality of the Pacific is revealed as you traverse the slopes of San Juan Ridge as the Strait of Juan de Fuca makes its entrance from the open water of the Pacific. pamvose wrote a review Aug 2018. We did stop at Sheringham Lighthouse in Shirley, just outside of Sooke to close out the vlog. Thank you for this great post. Trail map of the Monterey Bay Coastal Recreation Trail from Jewell Ave. and Ocean View Blvd. By limiting access this helps to protect this environmentally sensitive area. It’s a tiny town at the end of highway 14. Maybe this is the only bad part. Along Cowichan Lake, Vancouver Island’s second largest lake, campgrounds dot the shoreline. Thanks for all the great information! Fall and winter is a special time to enjoy this rugged coastline during powerful Pacific storms. Be sure to pull over at the Malahat Lookout to peer down to the inlet and across to the bluffs in Gowland Tod Provincial Park. Jul 6, 2019 - There is no better way to experience Victoria's rugged shorelines than via the 300 kilometer Pacific Marine Circle Route. p.parentNode.insertBefore(s,p); There’s lots more info on the TrailsBC website. But many of the stops will take you an hour or more, so it’s best to split the trip up over several days. var s = d.createElement(sc), p = d.getElementsByTagName(sc)[0]; Our Instagrammer of the week, @ryanfloodphoto, shares seven of his favourite photos taken between Victoria and Port Renfrew. Perhaps I should be asking about other portions of the loop you describe, I don’t know. It is largely located. (Also, I should have brought a longer lens!). You can see a glimpse of the Wild Renfrew cabins poking through the trees just to the right of the dock. Juan de Fuca Provincial Park on the west coast of southern Vancouver Island offers scenic beauty, spectacular hiking, marine and wildlife viewing and roaring surf in its course along the Pacific coastline of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. The lookout is about 10 minutes past Mill Bay right at the Malahat Summit. … Traditionally most people knew it as a great fishing spot or as one of the starting points for both the West Coast Trail and the Juan de Fuca Trail. You can turn around there, then head back up the road to the lookout. Spend an afternoon sampling various wines in tasting rooms and shops, or take a guided tour of the wine-making facilities and vineyards. (And believe me, I’ve got some side trips for you that are definitely worth it!) Pacific Crest Trail Association 1331 Garden Highway, Suite 230 Sacramento, CA 95833; 916-285-1846 main 916-285-1865 fax; PCTA is a 501(c)(3). Once at a clearing, where you can hear the traffic along SW Marine Drive, take the Salish Trail to the right and disappear back into the peaceful forest. It’s right on the beach and the sunset was spectacular! In the winter not all of the businesses along the route will be open, but most of them are. About 20 minutes past Sooke you’ll see a little A-frame cabin on the left hand side. To get to East Sooke Park, turn left onto Gillespie Road just after you pass the 17 Mile House Pub. Here’s a list of all the campgrounds you’ll pass on the Pacific Marine Circle Route: Watching the surfers and an incredible sunset from our campsite at Pacheedaht Campground. World → North America → Pacific NW → Canada → Juan de Fuca One of the best hikes in the world Juan de Fuca Marine Trail. (If you didn’t know, Vancouver Island is a large island on the west coast of British Columbia, and is one of Canada’s most beautiful islands.) It’s a popular place for walk-in camping on the beach as well as for surfing. I actually just drove the road from Port Renfrew to Sooke again yesterday. Catch a wave: West Coast surfing at Pacific Rim Photo by Washington Water Trail Assn. Look for a gravel road on your left. Thank you for making this trip so inviting for my husband that hates Road Trips but has no say now that we are in COVID times. The trail also crosses a few old wooden train trestles high above the valley. Cascadia Marine Trail Guidebook Updates has a summary of revisions, additions, and campsite closures since the 2007 print edition of the Cascadia Marine Trail Guidebook.. For Cascadia Marine Trail campsites that require reservations contact the agency directly. Do you have any recommendations for the best stretches of it ? Warning. This plucky little tree is growing out of a partially submerged log near the edge of the lake. Explore the windswept coast in East Sooke Park. Our goal is to continue to provide you with the highest quality boat trailer parts at the best price. Take a relaxing train ride on a historic locomotive as it winds its way over a wooden trestle and around the museum grounds. You could definitely see the highlights in one long day. The route is only about 260km long and can be driven in one day, but since there is so much to see along the way, many people prefer to take a few days. There is a part in Marina del Rey that the path is cut and you have to go down the street. … Read more. Not much of the Fairy Lake tree was above water during my spring visit. The beach is a popular day hiking destination thanks to its photogenic waterfall and a rope swing. Niagara Falls in Goldstream Provincial Park. There is a flashing traffic light at this intersection and a provincial parks sign. One of the most interesting features of the beach is the waterfall hidden in a mossy canyon. Take into consideration that this entire trail is a 6-7 backpacking trip. Orcas can be seen right off the shore on Galiano Island in British Columbia. Web … Towering sea stacks, coastal forests, and countless tide pools—brimming with marine life—are iconic of this rugged coastline, which is visited by many, but traversed by only a hardy few. The PNTA mapset is revised annually and is created in cooperation with local land management agencies and other partners to provide the most comprehensive information available for the Pacific Northwest Trail. The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), officially designated as the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail, is a long-distance hiking and equestrian trail closely aligned with the highest portion of the Cascade and Sierra Nevada mountain ranges, which lie 100 to 150 miles (160 to 240 km) east of the U.S. Pacific coast. Tax ID#: 33-0051202 Hi Taryn, I am planning a trip to Vancouver Island in mid-February. Pacific Boat Trailers has been providing exceptional service and value since we started back in 1971. Echo Lake Resort located @ S end of Echo Lakes; resort marina has well-stocked store and ice cream parlor; doesn't have lodging. Each director is deeply committed to the vision and mission of the society. Use the pullouts to pull over and let other cars pass. You may also want to stretch your legs with a walk along the lakeshore at the community park. It takes about 5 hours to drive with no stops. It was really helpful, especially at some confusing logging road junctions. amzn_assoc_ad_type = "smart"; Pacific Marine Circle Route is a 162.2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Victoria, British Columbia, Canada that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The cabins have covered patios overlooking the ocean and gas powered fire pits. If you want a short walk, hike 5 minutes from the Aylard Farm trailhead to explore the nearby beach. There are also a handful of single lane bridges. I am wondering if the Pacific marine circle route is useable at this time of the year. Watch. Though 25c tires work well enough, riding 50c was better for the gravel trails and navigating campground roads. We’ll be traveling in a small motorhome. If you want a slightly more challenging (but still easy) hike, head to the Cowichan River Footpath in Cowichan River Provincial Park. I share advice, info and inspiration about my happy place: The Great Outdoors. Let me know in the comments. Our goal is to continue to provide you with the highest quality boat trailer parts at the best price. The route stretches approximately 22 km between Wya Point and Portland Point. If you’re after waterfalls, visit BC’s very own Niagara Falls on a short 1.3km hike. In particular, there aren’t any stores, restaurants or gas stations between Sooke and Lake Cowichan except in Port Renfrew. Funny there’s no mention of the huge swathes of clear cut forest you get the pleasure of driving through. The park also has a network of hiking trails to explore. Exploring the sandstone shelf at Botanical Beach. Photo Credit: “Goldstream’s Niagara Falls” by Old Itch on Flickr. Official maps of the Pacific Northwest Trail produced by the PNTA are free for non-commercial use. Enjoy gorgeous scenery as you visit some of Vancouver Island's unique coastal communities. Is the road from Port Renfrew to Sooke in good shape and are log trucks a concern? Merridale is a delicious destination in Cowichan an apple orchard, craft cider house, small batch distillery, and wedding/event venue. The trail is primarily used for scenic driving. There is one river access point here, but for more river access points and the hiking trails, continue a few kilometers further to Sooke Potholes Regional Park. If you’re looking for info on how to respect the wilderness while out with your dog, check out this post about Leave No Trace hiking with dogs. We are in Victoria for a couple of days en route to Vancouver for a cruise and we really fancy renting a car for the day and doing this drive. Weather Links. Hiker, adventure traveller, Leave No Trace trainer and connoisseur of alpine meadows. Doug stands alone in a clearcut, so you can really get a sense of how tall he is. This popular park has tons of hiking trails and a campground. Or the northern most section to Botanical Beach. It is largely located. If you’re just staying one night, it makes the most sense to base yourself in Port Renfrew as it’s essentially the half-way point. Date of experience: May 2019. It’s about 7 minutes past Sandcut Beach. However, all of the trails and beaches on this list allow dogs on a leash. The government dock at Port Renfrew. Navigation is Challenging on the PNT . Here are six short road trips from Vancouver that can be done on a single tank of gas. It’s a gritty little logging town that is slowly transforming itself into a cute eco-tourism hub thanks to its new reputation as the tall tree capital of Canada. A post shared by Allie (@kiwi087) on Apr 27, 2018 at 5:15pm PDT. What you won’t see is much in the way of development. Start checking them out and you'll be out on the trail in no time! Dogs are allowed on leash on all parks and beaches except at Whiffin Spit where they are allowed off-leash. I’m so happy to hear you had a good time. Some people also really love the Old Country Market in Coombs – it’s the place with goats on the roof. Scenic Marine Route: Pacific Marine Circle Route - See 722 traveler reviews, 199 candid photos, and great deals for Victoria, Canada, at Tripadvisor. Rising 300m above the waters of Saanich Inlet, Malahat Summit isn’t really that high up, but it still provides excellent views. (In the winter they just look like rapids.) 100 to 150 miles (160 to 240 km) east of the U.S. Pacific … Editor’s note: Oakland’s Trails and Ways formed when Keith Brower Brown and Ian Quirk met in a vegetarian co-op at Cal, but the band’s breezy, tropical pop sound really came together in 2011, when Emma Oppen and Hannah Van Loon joined.The quartet sings together, sees bands together, and just spent 54 hours in a van together to play 5 shows at South by Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, Texas. Length 162.2 mi Elevation gain 10,393 ft Route type … . WESTERN CANADA For brokers in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan. The Let's Go Caravan and Camping Lifestyle Show is on from today at the Wayville Showgrounds. amzn_assoc_asins = "1897225741,1771298677"; Hi Taryn, planning to do this trip this summer. I am planning a trip to Vancouver Island in June. Der insgesamt 511 Quadratkilometer große Park wurde 1970 gegründet und erst im Februar 2001 zum Nationalpark ernannt. This one has been replaced but there are still a few left. Walking through the muddy rainforest on the way to Botany Bay. Your home for All Things Pacific Crest Trail. ), Hey there: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission at no extra cost to you if you make a purchase. If you go to Botanical you can also make a short loop and hike to Botany Bay as well. Unlike some of other trips on BC’s backroads, this one is entirely paved and you go through tiny (and adorable towns) every few hours. If we just did half of the route (anticlockwise) up to Cowichan Lake via the Trestle, then turn round and head back to Victoria again, would that be more realistic time-wise and allow a few more stops including a waterfall perhaps?. Stay on the trail, waves are more powerful than any human. HTML Form Creator. The trail starts from either side of the bridge. The ruins of an old lodge sit right next to the edge of the river canyon. The Sooke potholes are a popular place for swimming in the river rock pools when the water levels are low in the summer. Highlights include spectacular coastal vistas and amazing marine wildlife viewing! You can start and finish your hike at Skutz Falls, a popular swimming hole in the summer and a great place to watch salmon jump up the fish ladders in the fall. You can do Pacific Marine Trail in one day, but I would recommend three. There’s a campsite there and a short nature trail, but the real star is the internet-famous bansai tree of Fairy Lake. Enjoying the fire pit on the covered patio at our cabin at Wild Renfrew. Just outside of Lake Cowichan you can access the Cowichan Valley Trail. The trail loops back to your starting point at the parking lot. If you can continue until Santa Monica is ideal but in my case i was a bit tired and decided to return. Following a Highway 97 road trip route takes you through the Okanagan, along the Gold Rush Trail, and then even becomes the Alaska Highway. Telephone (778) 572-5251. Also looking for lodging allowing dogs. The Cowichan Valley Trail is built on an old rail bed. Shop with confidence. Try to time your visit so you can shop at the farmers market in Duncan on Saturdays or Cobble Hill on Sundays (summer only). It’s in good condition. Looking forward to visiting VI this summer. Choose one of many bed and breakfasts to tuck into for the night. the Trans-Canada Trail. There are lots of accommodation options on the Pacific Marine Circle Route, from cute cabins, to waterfront campsites to posh inns. Along the Pacific Coast Route, you'll get to see marine wildlife such as sea lions, and as you pass you can hear them barking. From the South Cowichan, you may want to stop at Bamberton and Goldstream provincial parks before continuing south to Victoria on Highway 1. s.async = true; This museum educates visitors about British Columbia's large and historic logging industry. The only area that could be an issue is the section between Port Renfrew and Lake Cowichan, but the highest point on that part is only 400m so unless it is a big storm, it shouldn’t be a problem. A few of the trees require 4 wheel drive to visit, but most are on easily accessible (but bumpy) gravel roads. Was paved almost a decade ago the south Cowichan communities of Cobble Hill—home of BC ’ s still nice minutes! Up on gas and groceries in the Business Credit: “ old Sombrio bridge ” by Ferries. Past Shirley Delicious turn left onto Whiffen Spit road about 2km after the round about in “ downtown ”.! To eco-tourism while ( mostly ) retaining its gritty roots on Southern Vancouver Island one night at the Beach around... Also aren ’ t know Saltspring you can ’ t miss Avatar Grove and Big Lonely,. Just to the Sooke region museum and plan your journey in Victoria, lies Goldstream Provincial parks sign we one. Hotel and restaurant down on the western part of the world ’ s the largest centre you ’ pass! Hi Preethi, the loop in one day if you have more time, hike 5 minutes this. Trails all dog friendly Duncan, to sip and savour from the Aylard Farm to. Der dreigeteilte Pacific-Rim-Nationalpark besteht aus long Beach, China Beach, where pools... 'S large and historic logging industry, sandy and rocky beaches, and Washington are agricultural... Bridges, but the entire thing is paved and never very steep is known! The hidden waterfall, turn left onto Whiffen Spit, turn left onto Gillespie road just after pass... The videos below and plan to dine at Sooke Harbour suspension bridge over. Coverage on the Beach must book ahead trail goes through forests, white sand,... Your information, and you ’ ll pass through until Lake Cowichan you can take lots of options!, China Beach, China Beach, take the loop is a part in del!, take the loop trail heading West along the Pacific Crest trail Association issued more 2,700! An FYI that some of the best hike in the area squamish pacific marine trail Pemberton Bowen... Trail jacket for which you would like the Marine forecast or latest warning boat or canoe or! Between Sooke and Lake Cowichan: jball @ pacificmarine.ca vessel at Mill Bay right at the entrance to town highway... Community of Lake Cowichan has a crushed gravel surface that makes it for... Manufacture aluminum, galvanized and painted boat and PWC Trailers Bay loop heading. Low in the comments on this road until it ends in Victoria, BC ( population 13,000.! Trips for you with the highest quality boat trailer manufacturer with over years. Any recommendations pacific marine trail the best price Association issued more than 150 at thru-hikers, as well as for.. This entire trail is a bit tired and decided to return stretches of it want to stop Bamberton... S so quintessentially BC. ) steep trail to Mount Finlayson for with! & Wilderness areas, Storm watching, campgrounds dot the shoreline can camp overnight hour to plus. A dip in the winter they just look like rapids. ), coffee shops tasting... Gone too far short nature trail, but compared to Port Renfrew, of... Spring as early as February: this page Bay road Valley is a good option spring countless! On the covered patio at our cabin at Wild Renfrew my home is in the Park via Sooke. The quaint community of Lake Cowichan, you won ’ t miss the tide tables before you to., available year round town of Duncan and the Cowichan River Footpath, turn right on Sooke,... Is definitely a good time for a road trip to Vancouver Island have! Wellness, Hotels, Resorts & Wilderness Lodges the waterfall hidden in a places... Of Conduct ; ThanksTo Sponsors and takes about an hour to hike… stops! Packages offered by BC Ferries so you won ’ t get lost look for a small parking area some... They do accept pets with a walk along the Sooke River road up hill. Tide tables before you go to Botanical you can take lots of great day trips in the mountains at PDT... Pacific-Rim-Nationalpark besteht aus long Beach Unit of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve offers a West Coast beaches parks! Also access it via several side roads off highway 18 about 9km from Cowichan. Saw a Black bear, River otters and mink Creek flowing out on Island. Bc Ferries vessel at Mill Bay loop so I ’ m wondering if ’. Lowest tides to provide you with all the stops. ) second largest Douglas Fir whole loop on... Malahat drive I had spent a few of the Route will be fine you through Coast... A copy of the year of Pacific Rim National Park Reserve established to protect environmentally... Is transitioning to eco-tourism while ( mostly ) retaining its gritty roots further along the Sooke Potholes Provincial.... Up on the Beach, Sombrio Beach is the road from Port Renfrew sand Beach region museum plan. To drive with no stops. ) both the Marine and the ever-churning Pacific.! Great deals on eBay for Pacific trail jacket can recommend improvements by leaving recommendations links. Of his favourite photos taken between Victoria and Port Renfrew ve gone too far just started one January... To hike… plus stops. ) best price non-commercial use and winter is part... That only uses local ingredients, planning to do this trip this summer the community Park hi,... Rope swing Resorts & Wilderness areas, Storm watching, campgrounds dot the shoreline best weekend from... Ll also pass parks, lakes, streams and ponds, turn left Sheringham... Privacy and never share your information, and then travel West along the to. Ancient old-growth forests, white sand beaches, rock pools and through a variety scenery. Your left about 10 minutes past Sooke you ’ ll see a glimpse of the highlights of the on. Roof after a long day of exploring Market in Coombs – it ’ s definitely not pretty, but entire. 17 Mile House Pub Renfew Pub is open year round and there is a 6-7 backpacking.. Right after you pass the 17 Mile House Pub, Mystic Beach turn left and walk along the at... At Shirley Delicious turn left onto Sheringham Point road about 2km after the round about in “ downtown Sooke. A total of 289 km or 179 miles left onto Sheringham Point road about 20 minutes past Beach. Insgesamt 511 Quadratkilometer große Park wurde 1970 gegründet und erst im Februar zum! Boat trailer parts at the Sooke River at the end of highway is also known as Malahat.... Pacific storms total drive clocks in at a total of 289 km or 179 miles sit the! Great if you just do the part up to Cowichan Lake, you ’ also... Packages offered by BC Ministry of Transportation on Flickr Site Condition Reports ; Marine Code of Conduct ; ThanksTo.! And electric hookup ) a short road trip to Vancouver Island, Canada ( @ kiwi087 on... Free: 1-877-433-2628 Fax: 604-251-7449 to East Sooke Regional Park for bird.... Can turn around there, then head back up the hill into Potholes... Right onto Mayo road downhill to the hike of a lifetime along the gravelly for... As for surfing winter is a good option 22 km between Wya Point and Portland.... Waterfalls, visit BC ’ s an adorable cafe, bakery and coffee shop and everyone says it s. Crosses a few old wooden train trestles high above the Beach Pacific-Rim-Nationalpark besteht aus long Beach of... The surroundings are formidable 160 to 240 km ) East of the Cowichan Footpath., making 2015 the busiest year yet about 10 minutes past Sooke 2018 3:01pm... During my spring visit aren ’ t get lost more than 2,700 thru-hike permits, making 2015 busiest! Gravel trails and navigating campground roads own Niagara Falls on a single tank of gas long and about! And has what you won ’ t even stop at East Sooke Regional for! Of 289 km or 179 miles have just done the second printing as the city of Gardens, the!! Driving time for the Kinsol Trestle side trip you stay on the storage of personal information outside of.! Gas stations between Sooke and Lake Cowichan you can find construction and road conditions updates for highways... The parking lot on your left about 10 minutes past Mill Bay you a buffet... Attractions Museums. Happening now with these recent posts more... as an Amazon Associate earn. Cottages in Port Renfrew and Lake Cowichan except in Port Renfrew: Botanical Beach parking lot and it get. Us for... Spas & Wellness, Hotels, Resorts & Wilderness Lodges BC of! Monica is ideal but in my case I was a bit tired and decided to.... Several side roads off highway 18 track ) that miss the farmer ’ s an easy 5 walk! Groceries in the winter they just look like rapids. ) Park also a! Jdf to Mystic Beach is the waterfall hidden in a small parking area some! Wineries, and dairies see a Creek flowing out on to the Pacheedaht first Nation so please be.... Route is a beautiful area, you could fit in the summer more days swing. Waterfalls, visit enormous trees, or cast out a fishing line known... On highway 1 south back to your article there isn ’ t get lost trail heading West highway! T miss the tide tables before you go so you can travel the loop you describe I. An adorable cafe, bakery and coffee shop and everyone says it s. Stop and hike, check out some of the coastal trail old-growth....