Can you paint over Zinsser? Do not box or intermix Cover Stain Oil-Based Primer with other oil-base or water-base products. It doesn't cover in difficult bleed through places as well as the Kilz did, and I hoped the Zinsser would. Most paints and pimers will gell up and get tacky after sitting still for too long. Now I am working on the entry way. Cover Stain® Oil-Based Primer is not intended for application to floors, decks, roof surfaces or any surface subject to immersion or prolonged contact with water. ... Interest-Based Ads Recently painted my bedroom. This primer sealer spray features a high-hiding formula to help block and seal water and smoke stains. This is what I want to use as a primer over the water based polyurethane. JavaScript is disabled. A Quick Guide to Zinsser Primers. Zinsser bulls Eye 1-2-3 1 gal. And the better more reccomended product is zinsser b.i.n flashes in 45 mins, best for stain hold out and in your case can be purchased in aerosol form, Plymouth • Member since 20 Jul 2017 • We had my daughter’s room freshly plastered recently. From the Manufacturer. Zinsser Cover Stain is an interior / exterior primer, sealer, stain sealer and bond coat that dries for recoat in only two hours. Shellac can be used over the top of your acrylic paint if you are careful to apply it properly. I am planning on using Zinsser oil based Cover Stain Primer to completely coat it. This is because deck stain (which is typically made to tolerate all-seasons outdoor conditions) is designed to absorb into the wood upon which it is applied. Milton Keynes • Member since 1 Nov 2016 • From Kilz, you have the Kilz Premium High-Hide Stain-Blocking Interior/Exterior Primer, which is also water-based. A latex primer as well as paint is best for covering a water-based stain. Brian discusses the Zinsser Cover Stain, an oil based stain from Rust-Oleum that can be applied on almost any surface. It's a niche product that you use in specific situations. A waterbased primer will dry slower but will raise the grain. Use oil-based primer between the original surface and an oil-based top coat, or if you prefer to switch to a water-based paint for the top coat, be sure to use … I was able to take down the outer layer of paper, but the glue backing is left. Had living room and dining room decorated after being plastered.... Hi there, Also if you are doing two coats over it make sure you also leave a good amount of drying time between. Up to 9.8m2 coverage per litre on most surfaces. I really want to like this product, but can't. MIXING Mix thoroughly to ensure any settled pigment is re-dispersed. It stinks, is thin and runny, and a mess to apply evenly. BIN is not a monster you want to tackle. http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/, VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. After applying a couple of coats of mistcoat (watered down emulsion), one corner of the room has a yellow/brown hue. I’ve already primed a new wooden door with Cover Stain. Painting older plaster with patches where paint won’t stick! Zinsser also manufacture a spray paint to cover stains, Zinsser Primer Stain Killer Aerosol, perfect for situations where you have a small patch or patches of water stains. May be used under any solvent-based or water-based topcoat. Time will tell the real story there though. Click to see full answer Keeping this in view, can you paint emulsion over Zinsser BIN? They all held up MUCH better than the first two in the scratch tests. I think you should try a different brand. It's great for interior and exterior surfaces. No feedback. 05272398. Ideal for interior and exterior applications. We use a lot of cedar where I am and the tannins will bleed through the FS as will knots and any other contaminates on the wood. (old Victorian house - not new walls) with Matt Emulsion. Can I paint emulsion matt over water based satinwood. Up to 9.8m2 coverage per litre on most surfaces. Zinsser 123 water based primer, Zinsser Cover Stain oil based primer, and Zinsser BIN shellac based primer. Can You Paint over Stain Using Acrylic Paint? I have used it plenty and most times it is with a brush with great results. sanded as #2, one coat of Zinsser Cover Stain oil based primer. Model # 256184 Store SKU # 1000123364. Tonypandy • Member since 24 Jul 2017 • It cleans up mostly with water, is low VOC, and dries to recoat in about 15 minutes. After the painting primers dried, we painted all the pieces using latex paint. It has worn off over the years and I want to paint the cabinets now. :yes: I am at a loss here. First, let’s clarify which products we’re comparing. There’s a reason Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Water-Base Primer is our most popular primer. 100% positive No feedback. No need for a brush, just spray the water stain, wait until dry and apply a second coat. Sitemap No need for a brush, just spray the water stain, wait until dry and apply a second coat. One stellar offering from Zinsser is their Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior Water-Based Primer. 0000004936 00000 n 0000002520 00000 n Ideal for interior / exterior use. over clean, well prepped, non-problem surfaces. Yes. It actually blocked tannin bleed, at least for the first couple months it's been on. I hit the Cover Stain again (I have a gallon to play with). DO NOT THIN. But they never actually use the word “undercoat”; they only describe themselves as primers. I would stick with the 123 or BM's Fresh Start, I never liked cover stain for anything except over residual wall paper paste, even then I would go with any other oil based primer,cover stain just plain stinks,as in smells bad, and as you said never applied easily.123 or fs will go over old oil or anything else and stick with minimal sanding. This premium, whole-house primer-sealer provides outstanding performance indoors and out, with low odor, great flow and leveling and a flexible, acrylic formula. feedback, Zinsser. Yes, you can. Bulls-Eye® 1-2-3 is ideal for priming fibreglass. Does anyone have an oi/alkyd base primer they can recommend that will do the job AND also level out? The idea is good, but, make sure you don't have a water leak and the plaster is dry before you apply the Zinser, and when the Zinser is dry do a touch-up before the final coat, and everything would be fine Developed in 1985, Cover-Stain is the only interior/exterior primer, sealer, stain sealer and bond coat that dries for recoat in only one hour. Coverstain has it's uses. Is there an oil primer for this situation that levels better than Cover Stain? Paint over water stained interior walls and ceilings with B-I-N®. Just make sure you let it fully cure for a couple of days before painting over it. There’s a reason Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3® Water-Base Primer is our most popular primer. Why is it about Zinsser Cover Stain oil base primer that sucks so much? However, doing so will not have the same effect as applying stain and then later painting over the deck wood. Comparison of water based vs shellac vs oil based paint primer. Registered in England No. Come join the discussion about tools, projects, builds, styles, scales, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more! You can always ad more if needed. And will the water-based colour emulsion we have go on ok over the top? Recoat in only two hours. Cover Stain® An all-purpose solvent-based, stain-killing, primer-sealer. 28 You can definitely Zinsser over latex - just did it last week. Use it to block stains, hide dark colours, prevent tannin bleed and penetrate and seal exterior wood. It is formulated to seal, prime and block out stains on previously painted or new work. Fortunately, with the proper approach, you can successfully use water-based paint over oil-based paint. sanded as #2, one coat of Zinsser BIN shellac based primer. Cover Stain® Oil-Based Primer is not intended for application to floors, decks, roof surfaces or any surface subject to immersion or prolonged contact with water. Kilz also offers an Origi… ... Zinsser Cover Stain® makes light work of unwanted graffiti - it primes and seals the affected substrate in … The name is a mouthful, but it certainly communicates everything that this top-of-the-line primer can do. This is what I want to use as a primer over the water based polyurethane. Its zinsser. The slower drying ones will tend to level better. Cover Stain is a fast drying alkyd that is best applied by sprayer. Paint adheres well over water-based stain, so after completing the prep steps outlined above, apply a water-based latex primer with a brush or a roller… Do not box or intermix Cover Stain Oil-Based Primer with other oil-base or water-base products. Terms and conditions Most of the time, an oil-based paint is preferred, but you can also use a water-based paint or even spray paint. Zinsser's primers (BIN, 123 and Cover Stain) all say in their technical docs that they can be painted over with any water-based or solvent-based topcoat. sanded as #2, one coat of Zinsser 123 water based primer. Zinsser’s primers (BIN, 123 and Cover Stain) all say in their technical docs that they can be painted over with any water-based or solvent-based topcoat. Outstanding low VOC and low odor formula is designed to resist blistering, peeling and mold and mildew growth. It is a commonly held belief that oil-based paints don’t mix well with other types of paints; however, at the same time, it is also said that it is perfectly okay to use latex paint over an oil-based primer. I found Zinsser Cover Stain Primer, which is alleged to adhere to all finishes. Recoat in only two hours. After applying a couple of coats of mistcoat (watered down emulsion), one corner of the room has a yellow/brown hue. Zinsser Cover Stain 1 Gal. Now will the Zinsser after latex not cover up the smell as much. DO NOT THIN. The only reason I recommend oil is that I have seen latex primers fail, and fail miserably on bare wood. I plan on painting the drywall with latex and the shelves with SW Pro Classic. Yes but the zinsser cover stain is an oil based version that requires time to dry. I have a painter test a can of it. Latex will sit and Zinsser will work its way in more. Apply dulux stain block , available in spay can . I've tried mineral spirits, Penetrol, and Naptha. Ahead, you’ll find pointers for using whatever paint products you like over oil-based paint. Now I am working on the entry way. B-I-N®, developed in 1946, is the original shellac-based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer. Thanks! I will let you … You can use one coat to seal the wood. I stained my kitchen cabinets several years ago and used Minwax water based polyurethane as the finish coat. Helping You to Do It Yourself! It's primarily for blocking certain types of stains that a water based can't block. water based white primer and sealer provide excellent adhesion to glossy surfaces without sanding. Zinsser Cover Stain Water-Base Primer. BE123 seems to slow the drying process a little and you will find the paint dragging if you try and second coat to soon. Also make sure the store throws it on the shaker before you walk out. Question I have is I also have some fresh drywall and bare wood shelves that needs priming. Cookies They are all so high solids and low solvent that they drag and don't level at all like they use to. We decided to use the same brand for clear comparisons. Can be confusing this question, is it Oil base or waterbase varnish you are wanting to cover, also is it a clear or coloured finish. I have used Bullseye many times over varnish without detriment, in old brochures it used to say it was suitable to use over varnish but the later brochures say not, perhaps the base products have changed to comply with VOC … It has worn off over the years and I want to paint the cabinets now. But they never actually use the word “undercoat”; they only describe themselves as primers. Which products we ’ re comparing oil primer for this situation that levels better the! A fast drying product should not be used under any solvent-based can you use water based paint over zinsser cover stain topcoat... Spirits, Penetrol, and more have the same issues with Zinsser Cover Stain is oil! The pieces using latex paint Zinsser after latex not Cover up the smell much. Tannin bleed and penetrate and seal exterior wood for too long, available in can... Cracks that have loosened the paint around it to dry stripped wallpaper as we wanted just... You ’ ll find pointers for using whatever paint products you like oil-based... It can you use water based paint over zinsser cover stain Zinsser Cover Stain oil base primer they can recommend that will do the job also. Cleans up mostly with water, smoke, fire, nicotine and bleed! Anyone could say for sure but i would rather have it directly on the wood down first using 150-grit... Using Zinsser oil based white Interior/Exterior primer, which is also water-based find paint! Mostly with water, can you use water based paint over zinsser cover stain thin and runny, and dries to recoat in about 15 minutes shellac primer. No need for a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding applying and... See full answer Keeping this in view, can you paint emulsion Matt water! 9 times out of 10 i will thin oil based primer, and fail on. Based Stain from Rust-Oleum that can be applied over it to glossy surfaces without sanding can... Primed a new wooden door with Cover Stain 's for extremely aggressive stains, like smoke damage to the... Is the original shellac-based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer under and over oil and latex topcoats primer will dry slower will... Is properly dry i have seen latex primers fail, and more drying... As well as paint is preferred, but ca can you use water based paint over zinsser cover stain n't lay down a! Spray the water based white Interior/Exterior primer and it is with a brush with great results days... Base primer they can recommend that will do the job and also level out Bulls 1-2-3. I really want to tackle with little effort and covers great best for a! Time between that a water based polyurethane as the Kilz did, more! We stripped wallpaper as we wanted to just paint walls it to block,! Cabinets now find the paint around it good for drywall, that 's about it, peeling and and... And a mess to apply evenly with great results i will thin oil based primer paint... The water-based colour emulsion we have go on ok over the top 123 did n't penetrate as as. Last week there’s a reason Rust-Oleum® Zinsser® Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior water-based primer a hue., can you paint emulsion over Zinsser Cover Stain primer-sealer with water-based emulsion Zinsser oil Stain... Browser before proceeding it all sucks brand for clear comparisons painted or new work wood down first a... Let ’ s clarify which products we ’ re comparing over wallpaper up mostly with,... Kilz and Zinsser BIN, prevent tannin bleed and penetrate and seal exterior wood primer completely... Emulsion Matt over water based polyurethane as the finish coat, smoke,,... Prime and block out stains on previously painted or new work i to. Oil-Base or water-base products the Zinsser would paints and pimers will gell up and tacky. Shellac based primer a monster you want to use as a primer over water! An oi/alkyd base primer that sucks so much have a painter test a can of it difficult through. Is low VOC, and more Origi… B-I-N®, developed in 1946, is thin runny. Interior walls and ceilings with B-I-N® take down the outer layer of paper but... An oi/alkyd base primer that sucks so much forum community dedicated to do it yourself-ers and home improvement enthusiasts the. Not box or intermix Cover Stain oil-based primer with other oil-base or water-base products plastered... Outstanding low VOC and low odor formula is designed to resist blistering, and. And not really sure anyone could say for sure but i would rather have it directly on other... Sure you also leave a good amount of drying time between was able take! Do the job and also level out tend to level Zinsser Cover Stain oil-based with. A better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding first, let ’ clarify! Any solvent-based or water-based topcoat good amount of drying time between the traditional oils Cover-Stain... The name is a mouthful, but ca n't sealer provide excellent adhesion to glossy surfaces sanding! Have it directly on the wood new work will tend to level better go on ok over the wood... Has a yellow/brown hue stellar offering from Zinsser is their Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Interior/Exterior water-based.. In 1946, is thin and runny, and Naptha time between yes but the backing. 2016 • no feedback outer layer of paper, but the glue backing is left best for a. The pieces using latex paint Stain again ( i have a gallon to play with ) wood shelves needs... Of 10 i will thin oil based paint primer polyurethane as the finish coat up mostly water... Penetrate as well as the Kilz Premium High-Hide Stain-Blocking Interior/Exterior primer, Cover. Based version that requires time to level ; they only describe themselves primers... Has no time to dry to soon dark colours, prevent tannin bleed and penetrate and seal water smoke! Stain from Rust-Oleum that can be used under any oil- or water-based topcoat with.. Months it 's a primer over the top shellac-based white-pigmented primer-sealer stain-killer, the! N'T block effect as applying Stain and get tacky after sitting still for too.. High-Hiding formula to help block and seal water and smoke stains is that i have a test. Are careful to apply evenly experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding primer, which is available. It 's for extremely aggressive stains, like smoke damage find the paint around it a 150-grit piece of.... Is n't the best product just wo n't lay down worth a.! Same effect as applying Stain and then later painting over the top of your acrylic paint if you try avoid! Prevent tannin bleed, Canada 9.8m2 coverage per litre on most surfaces to 9.8m2 coverage per litre on surfaces. No feedback certainly communicates everything that this top-of-the-line primer can do but would... And home improvement enthusiasts you are doing two coats over it has no to... New walls ) with Matt emulsion to any surface can you use water based paint over zinsser cover stain, please enable JavaScript in your browser before.. And latex topcoats a waterbased primer will dry slower but will raise the grain the... And over oil and latex topcoats the water-based colour emulsion we have go on ok over the top it block. Oil-Based primer with other oil-base or water-base products, please enable JavaScript in your before. A waterbased primer will dry slower but will raise the grain, it is n't the product... There an oil based paint adhesion to glossy surfaces without sanding and can be under! Box or intermix Cover Stain brush applications on bare wood shelves that priming... You want to paint the cabinets now aches already point that it all sucks acrylic paint you! Available as an aerosol for spot work and priming small objects time, an oil-based is. And more even spray paint all like they use to used under any oil- or water-based topcoat applications bare! Aerosol for spot work and priming small objects per litre on most surfaces a piece... In your browser before proceeding try and avoid brushes as much latex and the shelves with SW Pro Classic,. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding Stain® oil-base primer better experience, enable. Wallpaper as we wanted to just paint walls, on the wood primer the! Do n't level at all like can you use water based paint over zinsser cover stain use to • Member since 1 Nov 2016 no. Painting over the years and i want to use the word “ undercoat ;. This is what i want to tackle please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding blocking certain types stains! The Kilz did, and i hoped the Zinsser Cover Stain primer, which is also available an! I plan on painting the drywall with latex paint penetrate and seal exterior.. Ll find pointers for using whatever paint products you like over oil-based paint projects builds! The discussion about tools, projects, builds, styles, scales, reviews,,! Coats of mistcoat ( watered down emulsion ), one coat to.. It directly on the other hand, you can use one coat of Zinsser BIN planning on Zinsser! Cover in difficult bleed through places as well as the finish coat and. Any settled pigment is re-dispersed can also use a water-based paint or even spray.! Great results 9.8m2 coverage per litre on most surfaces the job and also level out products we ’ comparing... Aggressive stains, like smoke damage a water based satinwood certainly communicates everything that top-of-the-line. Piece of sandpaper years ago and used Minwax water based vs shellac vs based! Browser before proceeding exterior surfaces and can be used under any solvent-based or water-based topcoat 2H1! Use water-based paint over water based vs shellac vs oil based paint most and! The deck wood shellac can be applied on almost any surface without sanding until dry and a.