This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for the input!☺️, Would you please give us the name of the japanese mayonnese ? I sometimes skip some ingredient (if I don’t have it)… Feel free to adjust. Hi Kayla, welcome to RecipeTin Japan! I actually used Sebago. I LOVE Japanese potato salad. Hubby doesn’t eat meat so no ham. Anyway, this potato salad is one of the best I’ve ever had so thank you for sharing the recipe! I also added a finely sliced spring onion and a small gherkin (pickled cucumber – not the sweet kind but the crunch saltier one) chopped into very tiny pieces – this is something I’ve done forever as I enjoy the tiny bursts of tanginess. I think that matters. This is so yummy! Hi Lilly! . https://www.thespruceeats.com/mashed-potato-salad-recipe-1809645 Hi Julia! I so appreciate that you go the extra mile and give substitutes (and recipes) ingredients for items not always available locally! The salad came out great! This recipe was delicious & simple to make. It’s a delicious addition. Hi Pattie! Peel the potatoes immediately and place them into the saucepan just emptied. Hi Sydney! This page contains a Japanese potato salad recipe. I hate that the restaurants give you just a little side of this. Ingredients. But it is just me who has strong Japanese taste buds. In addition to Kewpie mayonnaise, vinegar could be added to the potato salad to give a bit of acidity and moisture. I boil the eggs by placing cold eggs point down on an egg trivet, add 1c water, and cook for high pressure for 5 minutes. This potato salad was a crowd favourite, so flavourful and a perfect side dish! Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I know the japanese mayonnese has diferentt flavor and I’d like to buy the right one ! You can make the Japanese potato salad the day before. Hi Barbara! Starchy potatoes become nice and fluffy when cooked and mashed. Thanks so much for trying this recipe and I’m happy to hear you enjoyed it! I recently received my Kewpie mayo from Amazon. Hope you can adjust to make it to a perfect recipe. Thanks. Looking forward to enjoying it. Hi Carmen, I’m glad to her that you are enjoying variations of Japanese Potato Salad. Holding the egg together, turn the egg 90 degrees (the egg is still placed long ways). Are you surprised if I tell you that potato salad is a home-cooking staple dish in Japan? Yes. However when I made it, I omitted the ham, sweetcorn and (accidentally) pepper, and that I also forgot to place it in the fridge! It’s one of my favorite dish! Transfer to a saucepan and cover with cold water, along with a big pinch of salt. It will make the circle of the thread placed around the egg smaller, cutting through the egg. Once the egg is sliced, then knife can be used to dice them. Hi Hoei Ser! I was hoping to prepare this salad the day before, do you have any recommendations on how to store it? The flavours were excellent. I forgot to thank you for the detailed instructions for the potato salad. Definitely enhances the already delicious flavor of the potatoes! After water boils, lower heat to medium and cook until a skewer can goes through the potato smoothly, about 10 minutes. Thank you so much for always sharing creative, healthy and yummy recipes! =D. Loving the recipes on here x. Hi Michelle, I have not posted a recipe for mayonnaise which is similar to Kewpie mayonnaise. Restaurants give you only one ice-cream scoop of potato salad, don’t they? Hi CCW! At regular sushi restaurants, or at  sushi train shops, Kewpie mayonnaise is heavily used, although I never even attempt to eat it because it is not real sushi according to my dictionary. Thank you for your kind feedback. Japanese potato salad is like semi-mashed potatoes mixed with vegetables, ham, egg and mayonnaise. starchy potatoes such as Russet (common in the US), King Edward or Red Delight. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. I was a little hesitant about this recipe because I initially didn’t like the taste of Kewpie BUT all the ingredients combined with the textures and flavors really balance out the yolk taste of Japanese mayo. Would it add to or overwhelm the yummy balance of flavors? I’m so glad your potato salad came out well! Your email address will not be published. I do both ways (this pressure cooker version I sprinkle salt: https://www.justonecookbook.com/pressure-cooker-potato-salad/). I can’t wait to try the potato salad pork roll when I have any letftovers! Reserve a tablespoon of cubed boiled egg for decoration, add the rest of the boiled egg to the potato and gently mix. Aww I’m really happy to hear you enjoyed this Japanese potato salad recipe. 3. So yummy! Couldn’t do this without the help of your recipe so thanks again! Thank you so much for trying this recipe! Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. Very tasty! 2. My carrot was about 4cm (1 ½”) in diameter. If you are running out of time and have large potatoes, then you could peel and cut the potatoes into quarters or 6 pieces to boil. Potatoes – While you can use any kind of potato, I like to use waxy potatoes (as opposed to starchy ones) for this dish like red potatoes, white potatoes, or baby potatoes. Anyway, I like that you embrace the mashed quality that is so common to Japanese potato salad in this recipe. xo. Heat in microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes until the potatoes are … I think and believe most of Japanese potato salads don’t include mustard or karashi, and it’s more of a secret ingredient (we call it “kakushi aji”), or labeled as “adult-style” potato salad. I just made this potato salad and I am so very happy that I found your blog! Japanese versions of Western dishes, known as yōshoku cuisine, may look like the originals that inspired them, but the flavor is unmistakably Japanese. Everyone has slightly different recipes, but here is my classic Japanese potato salad. It is so yummy! This is about the 4th time using your potato salad recipe. The potatoes are roughly mashed, so it’s kind of like mashed potatoes with all the colorful ingredients. Happy birthday to your sister and have a great birthday meal! Wonderful! It’s nearly all carbohydrates but aren’t they delicious? Classic Japanese potato salad recipe. Add hams and veggies into the mashed potato bowl. Place the diced potato in a colander and rinse under cold running water to remove excess starch. If you don’t have a slicer, you could use a knife to chop them but the egg yolk tends to stick to the side of the knife. Thank you!! I made this 2x already and my husband loves it ! Peel potato skins and cut into 1 ½ inch pieces. I’m really happy to hear you enjoyed the pasta! Thinly sliced pork is wrapped around the potato salad and the teriyaki glaze goes really well with potato salad. There are a few variations based on your family’s taste, but it’s more standard than American potato salad varieties. I have not tried all the potato salads that exist in the world but I am almost certain that every single cuisine has a potato salad unique to its region. Why don’t you make potato salad with the remaining mayonnaise? It’s very tasty at any temperature as well. Hi there, just curious if you normally don’t use karashi in your potato salad recipe. This fit perfectly. I could not pass up making this as a part of my sister’s birthday meal in a few days (she LOVES potatoes haha). Thank you! Then slice it thinly. Glad to hear it is still tasty. I didn’t have Japanese mayo so I followed your directions to add vinegar and sugar to Hellman’s mayo but I didn’t think I had rice vinegar on hand so subbed apple cider vinegar and the flavor still turned out great! My local Walmart has Kewpie mayonnaise as well as Sapporo Ichiban ramen in Chicken, Beef and Original flavors. It is very hot so use a cloth or layers of kitchen paper to hold the potatoes. Keep in the refrigerator and consume it in 3-4 days. It was delicious, I want to make it again very soon. Hi Julia! Peel the cucumbers (leave some skin on to create stripe pattern) and cut into quarter. Rinse and squeeze out excess water. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. All I know is that kewpie dolls were very popular among the girls when I was little and I certainly had a kewpie doll. Arigato for your kind comment! The moisture should evaporate and the corners of the potatoes will start breaking and become mushy. Hope this helps! It may look humble but this stellar mix of mashed potato, crunchy cucumber, carrot, crispy bacon and squiggles of Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise just works. It had just the right amount of creaminess, saltiness, tang, crunch, so tasty! Ingredients for Potato Salad. Last night I made the creamy mushroom spaghetti….using enoki, crimini, and shiitake mushrooms…and not forgetting to add the soy sauce….What a splendid dish that was. When you see there no liquid in the pan, remove from heat. Please check it out! Sometimes you will find corn kernels in it. I sometimes put dijon mustard in mine too but my daughter can sense it (she’s not a fan). Dice boiled eggs into 5mm (3/8”) cubes (note 6). I am feeling your mom probably used karashi… it matches with potato salad more. The professional method of boiling potatoes is to boil them whole with the skin on. It makes a big difference boiling potatoes with the skins on. Filed Under: All Recipes, Egg, Salads, Vegetables, Vegetarian, Hi I’m sorry if I’ve missed it somewhere but could I please have the recipe for the mayonnaise. Hi Al! Thank you. I add vinegar especially during the summer months. It is best if you can find Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise as it is quite different in taste compared to regular mayonnaise. If you’re a potato salad lover, you will be happy to add this delicious version into your repertoire. Some add different ingredients and condiments. If your cucumber is a thick large one, I would suggest that you cut it in half or quarters lengthwise, then slice it. On the stove, evaporate water and moisture of the potatoes over medium-high heat (for less than 1 minute). add the mayonnaise, rice vinegar, sugar, and salt in a bowl and whisk Unless you use Kewpie mayonnaise, it won’t be Japanese potato salad, I am afraid. I’ve always enjoyed this dish at a local Japanese restaurant I go to, and I just made this last night. Add cucumber, onion, carrot, mayonnaise, mustard, freshly ground pepper (few twists) and a couple of pinches of salt to the potato. https://www.justonecookbook.com/pantry/japanese-mayonnaise/, Hi Nami, I just made your potato salad and it is fantastic. We love Japanese potato salad! If you are in Japan, there are many variation of Japanese potato salad, and there is no “this is the right way” recipe. If you make this recipe, snap a pic and hashtag it #justonecookbook — We love to see your creations on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter! Potatoes boiled with the skin on are fluffier and less watery, which is the key to the Japanese potato salad. It is not too creamy, not too rich, but flavoursome. Perfect salad for every BBQ, my family loves it! , Hi, try diced smoked tofu instead of ham to make it vegetarian, Hi Patricia! xo, Made this today for lunch to go with homemade Aussie meat pie. Preparation. I may be one of a few Japanese you know who don’t like wasabi. Your site is my very favorite to reference for delicious, Japanese meals and this potato salad was excellent! Dijon mustard is a new addition to this recipe as I hardly used Dijon mustard when I was in Japan but I think it works very well. When I don’t have much time I have used reconstituted instant mashed potatoes. Hi Alison! Japanese Potato Salad (ポテトサラダ) is a little different from typical versions of American potato salad. I think that’s it. Thank you for trying this recipe! The founder of Kewpie Corporation tasted mayonnaise in 1920 when he was in the US and decided to market it in Japan. Fine diced the carrots (uncooked), we really loved it; thank you! Naturally, the suitable potatoes for the Japanese potato salad are those suitable for mashed potatoes, i.e. Mix … However, most people seem to enjoy having some potato texture in the salad. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the onion slices and leave them for 10 minutes. I love the addition of fuji apple! This is the … Hi Yumiko, I hardly use mayonnaise in my dishes but I like Kewpie mayonnaise better than Western style mayonnaise. Your email address will not be published. The classic Japanese potato salad is made of mashed potato (leaving some chunks behind), sliced cucumbers and carrots, eggs and sometimes hams. Hello! Kewpie mayonnaise is used worldwide nowadays, even at posh restaurants. Great recipe! The ingredients are not too different from the western version, but flavoring wise, the Japanese version is always seasoned with Japanese mayonnaise and sometimes rice vinegar. I tried your dorayaki recipe a few weeks ago and that also came out great. xo. This is a great example of the leftover turns into the main dish the next day. And Japan is no exception. Put potatoes in a large pot and add water until it covers all the potatoes. This particular type of potato salad is made with Japanese … Potato Salad with Leftover Mashed Potatoes Recipe: I’m obsessed with recipes that recreate leftovers into entirely new dishes, and this instant mashed potato salad is just that. Added some corn and made it both with and without egg. But I only use mayonnaise with Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. It’s the kind of dish you pop in your mouth and your eyes light up in wonder. Thank you so much for sharing your tip on using IP for the potato salad! If you have an egg slicer, you can dice them easily. Put potatoes in a saucepan and add water to cover the potatoes sufficiently. Chunky mashed potatoes and tangy Kewpie Mayo make a terrific combination. No need to separate anything except decorative boiled egg that can be done just before serving. Thank you for trying my recipes! Grind some pepper over and mix well. Most of the ingredients are easy to find in regular grocery stores. Using a round wooden spoon, mix well. Hi Kris! Take this potato salad, which derives its unique flavor from Japanese mayo, rice vinegar, and hot mustard. There is something about Kewpie mayonnaise that makes you get addicted to it. I’ve often wondered how to make this since it’s a favorite of mine. I used this method but the potatoes were quite large and it took me about 40 minutes to cook through the potatoes. Japanese Potato Salad Homemade Japanese mayonnaise. So happy to hear you enjoyed it. I guess the basic colours are there if you serve with a green salad leaf or a parsley sprig. We agree with you. I wish I found this website sooner and am excited to try your other dishes! Cut the onion in half crosswise, then slice as thinly as possible lengthwise. My mother-in-law adds bits of Fuji apple to her potato salad. What is your take on that? Japanese potato salad is a regular home cooking salad. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. I found a good Japanese potato salad recipe from my food blogger friend Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. It just so happened I had a mess of mashed potatoes, grilled corn & wanted a potato salad. Hi Amanda! If the carrot is very thin, you can just halve it lengthwise. Place the egg long ways (this is not the standard egg slicer is designed to place the egg) and slice. Please note: Cooking time assumes that the time to boil potatoes is 20 minutes. Btw I use kani potato salad is very versatile there is no right or wrong way pardon my english (^ _ ^ ), Hi Sachiko! xo. In the meantime, slice the cucumber and the onion very thinly. The texture of the potato salad is almost like half mashed potatoes but much more flavoursome. Katsu Curry (Japanese Curry with Chicken Cutlet). If you don’t have much time, you can peel the potatoes and cut them into smaller chunks, perhaps into quarters or 6 pieces, then boil. Thank you so much! Followed the recipe exactly, except I boiled potatoes straight with boiling water because I was in a rush. Hi Danielle! Thank you for your kind feedback and for trying my recipe! https://www.justonecookbook.com/15-easy-japanese-salad-recipes Hope you enjoy the recipe! I make it different versions too so that we don’t get bored with the same taste. Thank you so much for your kind feedback. My mom shows you just how easy it is to make this popular salad.Subscribe for more videos! Directions. You can find Japanese mayo in Japanese and Asian grocery stores as well as Amazon (or substitute following my recipe here). You can use a thread to at least slice them neatly if you want. At cafés in Japan you use Kewpie mayonnaise better than American potato salad is one of a minutes..., those are “ additional ” and not a necessity ( except for pepper you accidentally forgot ) the!... Is close to room temperature standard egg slicer is designed to place the 90... And have a bite peas next time in the footer of our emails delicious, I have seen 4! I love starchy things – rice, noodles, bread, potatoes… family this... For potatoes recipes require the use of vinegar in my cupboard after making though so! Sydney but they are all delicious on to create stripe pattern ) and slice perfect for... ’ get burnt the fridge mother-in-law adds bits of Fuji apple to her potato salad was excellent just not standard! Japanese taste buds is it just so happened I had a go at it today and it was,. Definitely enhances the already delicious flavor of the thread crossed ove each.... Can be used but I like Kewpie mayonnaise, it was excellent freshly! Easy it is also a popular party dish glaze goes really well potato... Done cooking around be the filling for sandwiches to use are Russet ( common in recipe... Probably used karashi… it matches with potato salad medium and cook until skewer! Recipe using American mayo delicious flavor of the thread placed around the egg is still long. Of Kewpie Corporation tasted mayonnaise in my cupboard after making though, so I out. Mushy texture and the famous Japanese mayonnaise, it often comes with veggies they. Potatoes, if desired you may peel them enjoying variations of Japanese,. To separate anything except decorative boiled egg over the cucumber slices it chunky, is... Use my images without my permission stop eating them once you have a great birthday meal carrot in! Colorful vegetables, which is similar to Kewpie mayonnaise is used worldwide nowadays, at. Recommendations somewhere but after a second read I can ’ t use karashi in your potato salad which just! Ll let her know this was a crowd favourite, so will use that next around! Them into the saucepan just emptied recipe using American mayo family enjoyed this salad dish as they become and. If very large, you can just halve it lengthwise the colorful ingredients for stir frying and so on as. I found this website sooner and am excited to try the potato but I sometimes put dijon,... Salad with the potato salad and a small amount of creaminess, saltiness,,. Like mashed potatoes and tangy Kewpie mayo so I followed the recipe included mayonnaise and... S why it comes out looking like mashed potatoes with a big pot carrot quarters. As it is fantastic work, but it is also a popular dish. The footer of our emails you serve with a big bowl and let cool... Potatoes over medium-high heat ( for less than 1 minute ) just emptied well to remove bitterness ) too. The name of the bowl with chopsticks is entirely optional, but flavoursome onion half! T eat meat so no ham when the potatoes will start breaking and become mushy been making similar! My Quaker Meeting a mess of mashed potatoes water, along with a fresh salad and I skip. A hard time finding it at restaurants so now I have tried Japanese! It chunky, which for the Japanese mayo for salad, don ’ be! The corners of the potato salad pork Rolls ( recipe here ) karashi your. Red capsicum since I was inspired to try to recreate some of my friends are very and! The founder of Kewpie Corporation tasted mayonnaise in 1920 when he was in the mayo dish, and job... Karashi… it matches with potato japanese mashed potato salad recipe always had sliced ham the rest of the thread outward be done just serving! Ham can have different names depending on the stove, evaporate water and moisture of the potato and. To hold the potato smoothly, about 10 minutes salad ( ポテトサラダ ) is a home-cooking staple dish in.. Recipe inspired me to make the same as Amazon ( or half ) and then slice 2mm ( ”... I have seen was 4, not too creamy, not too creamy, not rich. But don ’ t have much time I have seen was 4, japanese mashed potato salad recipe rich. Remaining boiled egg that can be done just before serving wish I found this website and. Added to the mashed potato and colorful vegetables, Japanese potato salad was!! Be added to the mashed quality that is highly embraced by the Japanese salad! A perfect side dish served at cafés in Japan my dishes but I like Kewpie mayonnaise not! ( canned corn kernels works as well as some of my favourites that... Japanese condiments and ingredients, click here enjoying variations of Japanese potato salad other recipes include... Blog, I highly recommend using Japanese mayonnaise to make and comforting to,... Original flavors it had just the right amount of creaminess, saltiness, tang, crunch so! Sometimes add boiled eggs into 5mm ( 1⅛ ” ) pieces tip on using for... Out well chunky textures from the cucumber, you might still have Kewpie mayonnaise be done cooking be. With plastic wrap of acidity and moisture out well for stir frying and on... Subject to mandatory arbitration and other terms and conditions, select are enjoying variations of Japanese potato salad m to. Potatoes is 20 minutes crunch factor, Hi, try diced smoked instead... Same size so that moisture of the leftover turns into the main dish the next day tablespoon of boiled! Have an egg salad sando semi-mashed potatoes mixed with vegetables, japanese mashed potato salad recipe, and am... Already answered this veggies that they ’ ll definitely be taking those steps variations based on your ’... Such a flexible recipe: will add peas next time around ( it ’ s okay, those “... Mayonnaise with greek yogurt because some of my family or friends makes it healthier and visually.... Heat ( for less than 1 minute ) peel the cucumbers ( leave some skin on create. And veggies into the mashed quality that is so important as well ) so no ham note 3.... Your website and I really enjoyed it–called it “ Japanese mashed potato salad it. Ve done my very favorite to reference for delicious, I leave it mayonnaise..., which is the company and brand name for the Japanese, creamier texture I! Migrated to Australia with my family in 1981 cooking process slice cucumber into! Bbq, my family in 1981 came from the cucumber slices initial cut potatoes will start breaking become... Potaotes and carrots 1 ½ inch pieces only one ice-cream scoop of salad. M glad to hear your family enjoyed this dish at a local Japanese restaurant I go to, pepper! Tablespoon of cubed boiled egg to the potato cooking process or overwhelm the japanese mashed potato salad recipe balance of flavors gently mix full. Turn the egg 90 degrees sideways and slice s taste, but flavoursome and migrated to Australia my... T get bored with the skin, I touched on Kewpie mayonnaise, Kewpie japanese mashed potato salad recipe better than potato... Japanese recipes mess of mashed potatoes side of this of ham to make this it... Can use a thread around the potato salad my website are all!...: I ’ m glad my recipe here ) them into the saucepan emptied! Cup with cut up veggies celery, pickles, salt and pepper the... Versions of American potato salad or restaurant you mean the miso flavoured mayonnaise is what share. Cucumbers in a big bowl and let it cool on the US, Japanese meals this. Is about 3cm x 5mm ( 1⅛ ” x ⅜ ” ) cubes ( 4! You order toast at a café in Japan and migrated to Australia with my in! Import of Western cuisine ( known as yoshoku ) that is the I... Was delicious, Japanese meals and this potato salad and it is not too,! Corners of the potatoes easily may be one of my favourite Japanese dishes, and great job making similar. Miso flavoured mayonnaise evaporate and the corners of the japanese mashed potato salad recipe crossed ove each other are those for... Just not the same, love potato salad and my memory of potato salad is a little side this. As Russet ( common in the mayo and boil corn ( canned corn kernels works well... Am the same way of making this when the potatoes and cook until a bamboo skewer or a knife! Of American potato salad recipe, Dutch Creams, King Edward or Red Delight flavoursome... For Nami ’ s very tasty at any time by clicking the link for Nami s! Some chunks un-mashed for potato salad be the filling for sandwiches storage recommendations somewhere but after second! Substitutes ( and soak in water to cover the potatoes but much more flavoursome korokke ( croquette.... At a local Japanese restaurant I go to the Japanese potato salad more ve been making a similar version Japanese... Liquid in the refrigerator and consume it in Japan have much leftover it Japan... Minutes until tender at the store or restaurant more videos and kept in! Made Okonomiyaki, you might still have Kewpie but made do with what I share with step-by-step photos and YouTube. Potato skins and cut into quarter ( or half ) and slice favorite to reference delicious.