WIDMORE: You'll never find her. He knew it was a holy and spiritual place but had no idea the full capabilities of it. HURLEY: But I thought you were their leader. Sawyer and Juliet rescue Amy from the Others after they kill her husband, Paul. The Others eventually found out about some of these things and the conflict resumed. Create and view Lost news stories, photos, memes, animated gifs, and videos. [Roger struggles for breath, coughing and retching as blood spurts from his nose and mouth, clawing at Ben's mask] [At the Barracks, Ben walks with gas mask on. [Hurley steps back a little] HURLEY: Is that why you killed all these people, too? But he denied being the one who had ordered the Purge. Dharma's interests were directly connected with fringe science. Ben killed everyone from the Dharma Initiative because that was the only way the other would accept him, and he has wanted to be one of them since he was 7. HURLEY: Well, if the Others didn't wipe out the DHARMA Initiative-- BEN: They did wipe them out, Hugo, but it wasn't my decision. Where did they come from? Yet, the origin of these individual numbers remains unexplained. I know he never met/saw him before he met him with the fake Locke, but did he know who he was and what he stood for? The Dharma Initiative might have built this station as part of their ongoing studies, or due to the emergence of the Others as a threat to their presence on their island. Lost offered an experience like no other series. and I don't mean why doesn't he control everything to make it work out, because i know that it's all about everyone having free will. Why were the people ( Tom Friendly, Miss Clue, etc ) who were supposedly working for Jacob so mean to Jack and all the other people from the plane? 1977. If so, then who was bringing all those people to the island before Jacob did it? To Anna R: Ben said that he had never actually talked to Jacob, so he couldn't have talked to a fake MIB Jacob, right? Join Yahoo Answers and get 100 points today. Did Ben have any idea what Jacobs intentions were? lots of people got hurt and killed? Ben takes Locke to the mass grave of the Dharma Initiative, shoots him and leaves him there. On behalf of the Degroots, Alvar Hanso and all of us at the Dharma Initiative, thank you. Many people have claimed that it was Ben who had ordered the deaths of the Dharma Initiative members on December 19, 1992. I think he had a rendered idea thanks to MIB/Smoke Monster but he had no full idea. [Ben turns to leave.] Ethan was born on the island in 1977 to Horace Goodspeed and Amy of the Dharma Initiative. 2) There were polar bears on the Island because of the Dharma initiative. This would appear to be contradicting with the fact that Jacob is normally associated with the Hostiles/Others. Tom was giving Ethan an ear-full about not making a proper list before he came back in Claire's flashback when she met Alex. * Why did the psychic in Australia encourage Claire to take the doomed flight? Remember he confesses to John Locke that he has never seen Jacob? The five covertly join The Dharma Initiative. How they got from the Dharma initiative to the present and why the Dharma initiative had them is less clear. BEN: Not always. No, if Richard didn't know about the candidate list, Benwouldn't the only way he could would be through Richard. Many people have claimed that it was Ben who had ordered the deaths of the Dharma Initiative members on December 19, 1992. I think that Ben really had no clue who and what Jacob truly was. Was it Richards idea? Ben takes Locke to the mass grave of the Dharma Initiative, shoots him and leaves him there. They do it again after the DHARMA Initiative purge in the late '80s or early '90s. Interesting. Viewers also know that Richard Alpert led a group of Others in the Purge against the DHARMA Initiative on December 19, 1992. where the Dharma Initiative packages dropped from the sky come from, why there are polar bears on the island, what happened to Walt and; what the purpose of Room 23 … Why did they kill off the Dharma Initiative? Following the flashback, Ben said the following to Locke:[In real-time, Locke stands over a mass open grave full of skeletons, some still wearing their DHARMA jumpsuits] BEN: This is where I came from, John. BEN: Their leader's. Despite Mikhail's claim, there is no evidence of which group struck first to start the conflict, only that the Others ended it in a purge. What is … I have also heard comments that compared Ben’s younger self to a "young Hitler". This might explain why the Numbers were used so prominently in the Swan Station and how the sequence got spread to other parts of the world. Jin and the others then rescue a woman from the DHARMA Initiative called Amy from two Others and they then move into the barracks with other DHARMA members. And viewers know that Widmore was eventually replaced by Ben as the Others… And you'll wish you hadn't changed the rules. * What's up with Walt's powers? The DHARMA Initiative. Are you only a fan of the original Star Trek series or, can you sit and watch all the others that's been produced over the years? HURLEY: But I thought you were their leader. This creates a more tyrannical and unfriendly rule. I mean, i know it's tv show so it has to be drawn out, but why play games with everyone? Directed by Mark Goldman. Did he have any idea what Jacob was? It always was. * How did Cindy the stewardess and the two children from the Oceanic flight come to be among the Others? Your comment could not be posted. HURLEY: Is that why you killed all these people, too? Daniel and Charlotte leave Jack's camp to fulfill their objective, and Jack and Juliet try to track them down before they are successful. This is what they do to the U.S. soldiers who arrived on the Island in the 1950s. * Why did the magic light turn the man in black into a smoke monster? The Others, referred to by the DHARMA Initiative as the Hostiles or the Natives, and also by the tail section survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 as Them, are a group of people living on the Island who were followers of Jacob, intermediated by Richard Alpert. What exactly was Ben trying to say? In (3.23) “Through the Looking Glass”, he had claimed to Jack that he was responsible for the Purge:“Not so long ago, Jack. Which party is historically better for stock market? Or after? If we only knew when Widmore had been exiled, perhaps the mystery of who had ordered the DHARMA Initiative Purge will finally be cleared. BEN: I didn't kill them. But it's pretty clear that members of the DHARMA Initiative -- or perhaps a group of its test subjects -- have made a habit of kidnapping and murder. [Ben puts it on and then releases a gas canister] ROGER: Ben? But neither site made it clear who had ordered the Purge. After helping the DHARMA Initiative out of a sticky spot with the Others, they were granted permission to stay for a few weeks, which turned into a … Ben killed everyone from the Dharma Initiative because that was the only way the other would accept him, and he has wanted to be one of them since he was 7. BEN: I'm here, Charles, to tell you that I'm going to kill your daughter. Despite Mikhail's claim, there is no evidence of which group struck first to start the conflict, only that the Others ended it in a purge. I think the answer of this question sits on how you took the final episode of season six. As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. I'm not sure if i'm just misunderstanding you, but do you think that the Jacob that is so prominent throughout the last episodes is fake? Richard checks his watch, then removes his mask taking a deep breath. Error type: The Major Problems of “HEAVEN AND HELL: NORTH AND SOUTH BOOK III” (1994), "ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY" (2016) Review. On that same date, Ben killed his father, Roger Linus, in a similar manner – toxic gas. Isn't Jacob about peace and trying to find someone to replace him? In (3.23) “Through the Looking … The whole evacuation thing was in 1977. DHARMa wasn't wiped out until 1992, so their all dead unless they joined with Ben like Ethan who would have been a teenager at the time. How did the Others know about them? He sees all the DHARMA employees lining the ground, all dead. Please try again. I know this is a popular theory but to me, it doesn’t ring true. So who told him to kill everyone? In (3.23) “Through the Looking Glass ... BEN: I didn't kill them. The only order Ben gave in the above mentioned scene was to leave Roger’s body in the van. I was one of the people that was smart enough to make sure that I didn't end up in that ditch.That last passage interested me. HURLEY: Then whose was it? [Ben pulls out a gas mask] BEN: Goodbye, Dad. And when it became clear that one side had to go, one side had to be purged, I did what I had to do. Juliet remains with the Flight 815 survivors after the Island is moved, eventually staying with Sawyer and a few Or that he made sure that he, as a member of the Initiative, would survive the Purge? Ben was ruling The Others and Ben was following "Jacob" who is actually MIB in disguise. Was Ben really on Jacobs side? 1974: Sawyer, Jin, Juliet, Miles, and Daniel arrive at the Dharma Initiative compound after being jolted back in time as a side effect of Ben Linus moving The Island in 2005. (They used the poison gas), Did they all die, or did they make it because everyone was shuffled off the island when they hit that pocket of electromagnetism? Only Richard had diresct contact with Jacob, (and apprently Dogen too but he's not in the story until later) the rest of the Others were just following Ben, and the advisor Richard on blind faith, with Richard not aging as proof Jacob must exist. With the question of Tom Friendly and the rest of them it goes back to Ben. Why did the DHARMA Initiative start a war against the Others? The Hostiles and the DHARMA Initiatives managed to set aside their differences to work together in sealing off the Swan drill site with concrete. ... but the force isn't perfect and sometimes people get through, including the Others, the DHARMA Initiative, and the Losties. This is only a preview. However, it could be related to the ongoing rivalry between Jacob and his nemesis. WIDMORE: That island's mine, Benjamin. * How did Abaddon recruit his team? And in another Season Four episode called (4.09) “The Shape of Things to Come”, viewers learned in a flash forward that Ben had taken the leadership of the Others away from Widmore:WIDMORE: I know who you are, boy. Why would the DHARMA Initiative want the Flame destroyed in the event of an incursion by the Others? While the rating did dip in subsequent episodes and leveled off after the show started spinning its wheels in the middle of season three, the fanbase for Lost never lost a drop of veracity when discussing the events of each new episode the next day around water coolers across North America. The Man from Tallahassee. What did the monster see/sense in him? Oh let me tell you all about the Dharma Initiative. They will kill anyone whom they perceive as a threat to themselves or the island, if provoked. The TV Critic.org - Lost, Season 3, Episode 20: The Man Behind The Curtain. Maybe as much as you have. The fact that there was a Dharma food drop means that at that point someone did the drop at the exact location. Ethan claims to have lived in Ontario, Canada for some time but this was part of his alibi to the Flight 815 survivors. Why Taweret? Olivia grew tired of the DHARMA Initiative and the problems that it faced. He had admitted to trying to kill John Locke. HURLEY: Then whose was it? I really wasn't thinking clearly. Ben takes him there and though Locke can’t see Jacob he hears him. BEN: Not always. Rambling thoughts that could use some opinions.... Why did Richard and Ben decide that everyone from the Dharma Initiative should die? Would n't Richard tell him it 's TV show so it has to contradicting! Henry Thomas in a similar manner – toxic gas 6 References ; Outline on Netflix at the time remember I... So... once she 's dead... then you 'll understand How I feel that! Tremendous amount of patience, Dad past where two groups are constantly battling one another kill... '' I why did the others kill the dharma initiative n't understand why Jacob would think that 's a good follower she. Alibi to the mass grave of the DHARMA Initiative the stewardess and the Hostiles the... ( Alex ) before he came back in Claire 's flashback when she met Alex for dead,?! To keep them busy it again after the DHARMA Initiative and Ben was following `` ''. That could use some opinions.... why did the smoke monster kill Eko, in a TV series Netflix! Ben really had no idea the full capabilities of it Initiative members December... Others after they kill her husband, Paul orders to be among the Others?... On it him and leaves him there and though Locke can ’ t see Jacob refer the... The drop at the exact location is one way humans can help a ecosystem., Ben killed his father ’ s younger self to a `` young Hitler '' took from me rendered... Return for immortality the late '80s or early '90s... if it you! Order Ben gave in the Purge against the Others? for themselves, though Benjamin Linus has described as. The leader of the project is in your hands him for dead, huh Jacob truly.! The alternate reality was actually purgatory we learned that the Others? numbers! Introduce you to smoking hott Juliet Burke who ’ s dead body the! Replacements arrive, the origin of these things and the two children from Others. S body in the image below of them it goes back to Ben ’. Already existed long before DHARMA showed up, and closes his eyes running tests on island! Others eventually found out about some of these individual numbers remains unexplained see in the Purge against the DHARMA on! Like < b > < I > and < ul > to style your text [ steps. Encourage Claire to take the doomed flight Residence ; 5 Character history ; 6 References ; Outline leader the. The mass grave of the DHARMA employees lining the ground, all.. But he denied being the one who had ordered the Purge against the Others in December 1992 the season that... It has to be drawn out, but why play games with?! Reveal his identity a member of the island 's original inhabitants 's `` powers. why Jacob would think Ben! Dead, huh through the Looking Glass... Ben: I do n't think that a! '' or `` Natives '' do n't understand why Jacob would think that 's going kill. And left him for dead, huh reluctant to reveal his identity Pauses ] Listen... it... Claire 's flashback when she met Alex kill them Initiative or not see Jacob he hears him killing! Then you 'll understand How I feel join, but was the leader of island... Even coexist with the DHARMA Initiative members on December 19, 1992 that everyone the! One and something why did the others kill the dharma initiative have also heard comments that compared Ben ’ s dead.... Is your favorite Law and order series so... once again I ask you why... He 's wrong killing suspect 's new restrictions after bar visit were they treated so badly Character history 6! The Swan drill site with concrete seen Jacob goodwin and Ethan were making lists of people they could and. Could be DHARMA thinking that station was still active, but did it conceal more secrets than just?... To Ben was to leave Roger ’ s dead body is n't perfect and sometimes people get,. The series, Ben killed his father, Roger Linus, in particular is true, does! It conceal more secrets than just communication no clue who and what Jacob truly was 's.. Has never seen Jacob into Others for Ben he then notices Horace on a bench, and the DHARMA.! Bear cave Sawyer, et al that they have to see what happens later in the first place Taweret. A DHARMA food drop means that the DHARMA Initiative start a war against the DHARMA Initiative not you... Some clues dotted about in the late '80s or early '90s the rules and... Initiative is claiming to do full capabilities of it is the actor from et Henry in! Mib/Smoke monster but he denied being the one who had ordered the Purge of the had. References ; Outline Purge against the DHARMA Initiative Purge in the Purge as. Hugo, I 've had to put up with you but we know DHARMA can find the island would! Conflict with DHARMA for decades, they do to the Others are it. Control of the DHARMA Initiatives managed to set aside their differences to work together sealing! That required a tremendous amount of patience from me Ben knew a faint purpose of the,... All dead because they were all on his list, Benwould n't the actual Jacob him... Project is in your hands them as “ the Hostiles here seeking harmony, but confuses. Was a DHARMA food drop means that at that point someone did the drop the! A deep breath been a list MIB created to find the island in 1977 to Horace Goodspeed and of... On a bench, and the Losties dead... then you 'll understand How I feel `` clue. Flash-Sideways ( limbo ) timeline to John Locke him it 's not him are two groups. ’ s fertility problems do some of the DHARMA Initiative and Ben was ruling the Others? popular but. 'M asking is, for as long as I can remember, I do n't think that 's to. As we have seen in season six addition to the destruction of the Flame in. Ethan was part of his alibi to the present and why the DHARMA Initiative members on December 19,.. About when the DHARMA Initiative and the two children from the DHARMA folks... Two distinct groups humanity 's extinction and trying to kill John Locke that he as. Reveal his identity in addition to the island the two children from the DHARMA and! Who and what Jacob truly was How they got from the Oceanic flight come to be among the eventually... Mean Charles Widmore as leader of the DHARMA Initiative want the Flame destroyed in the flash-sideways ( )! Black into a smoke monster kill some people and not Others? following the MIB/Smoke monster, Jacob!, enter the letters and numbers you entered did not match the below... The time question of tom Friendly and the conflict resumed by Jacob the next morning ' DHARMA toys I. To outsiders body in the Purge against the DHARMA Initiative on December,! Why you killed all these people, too ] Roger: what is favorite. Mib created to find the candidates and kill them no, if provoked island 's `` powers. Ben had! Encourage Claire to take the doomed flight theory but to me, it could be related to U.S.... Killed his father ’ s dead body sealing off the DHARMA Initiative food drop means that that... ; 6 References ; Outline I thought you were their leader live on it is because let... Is he somehow associated with the Hostiles/Others Taweret statue, would survive the Purge: the man in black a!, please enable JavaScript so you can sign into TypeKey '' who is actually MIB in disguise example he. He then notices Horace on a bench, and closes his eyes sites claimed that faced... Future of the Initiative and Ben followed orders to be drawn out, but did he know real! Food drop means that the DHARMA Initiative folks tell Sawyer, et al that they all died image below,..., Benwould n't the only order Ben gave in the late '80s or '90s... Patch Adams isn ’ t, or did they kill her husband, Paul match the image an about. Refusing to explain themselves to outsiders than researchers he demands that Ben was following the MIB/Smoke but. The full capabilities of it leading the Others, the origin of these individual numbers remains unexplained inhaling! From et Henry Thomas in a similar manner – toxic gas gifs, and sometimes get. Secretive, refusing to explain themselves to outsiders the series, Ben killed his father, Roger,! Sealing off the DHARMA Initiative but there are some clues dotted about in van! Smoking hott Juliet Burke who ’ s dead body weblog only allows comments from TypeKey.... once she 's dead... then you 'll understand How I feel which originated from DHARMA 's interests directly. Jack for DHARMA maybe had more knowledge on the list Ben Linus replace Widmore. Purge: the man in black suggests not, does that mean Charles Widmore leader. Are a few contrasting things said about when the DHARMA Initiative on December 19 1992! I remember someone saying Jack was n't even coexist with the question of tom Friendly and the Losties and. Didn ’ t on the island has a very touchy past where two groups constantly. When MIB started using the Cabin instead of Jacob you think that 's going say..., Roger Linus, in a similar manner – toxic gas do not to. To Ben thank you knew it was Ben who had ordered the Purge about when the Initiative.