In this article I’ll attempt to share a few tips & optimization tricks that you should consider when aiming to minimize the footprint of your React app. This topic is widely covered by the Angular community, so I won’t spread it out here. Lastly, there is a really nasty and tricky way to combat the issue, which will only work in cases where the API of the package is hasn’t changed between releases (most of the times this translates to the major version being the same). https://github.com/timarney/react-app-rewired/, rsync: Copy only modified files, leave owners and permissions alone, and exclude dirs, React Native: get end position after scrolling a ScrollView, Dispatch an action to redux from any file, React Native: Trigger something in RN from WebView, React Native: Upload (any) file to S3 with a presigned URL, React Native: Prevent keyboard from hiding TextInput fields on the bottom of the screen, /your_project/node_modules/react-scripts-ts/config/webpack.config.prod.js, /your_project/node_modules/react-scripts-ts/config/webpack.config.dev.js. If you feel I missed something interesting, feel free to comment and I’ll add it to the list. If you are using Babel to transpile your code, make sure that you only target the browsers that your users use. I managed to get from a ~400kb bundle (the file was not served as gzipped) to a ~50kb bundle (gzipped), which is pretty amazing, in three steps (and some researching). P.S. They cover some of this in the RFC. Journey to react-native. If you liked this, consider following me on twitter and sharing the story with your developer friends , Hardening Docker and Kubernetes with seccomp, KubeKey: A Game Changer for the Installation of Kubernetes and Cloud-Native Plugins, Lightweight and Performance Dockerfile for Node.js, Getting Started with Graph Databases: Azure CosmosDB with Gremlin API and Python, Level-up your TypeScript game with decorators and transformers, Create an eye-catching GitHub Readme ( Svelte). A lot has been written on the web about this, but I’m still going to write this down so I don’t forget. Also exclude some unnecessary libraries to reduce size. Introducing Zero-Bundle-Size React Server Components December 21, 2020 by Dan Abramov, Lauren Tan, Joseph Savona, and Sebastian Markbåge 2020 has been a long year. Android Studio’s APK Analyzer. 1.7 MB as far as I can tell). The best thing about Android App Bundleis that in order to start using it the only thing you have to change in your build process is that command. Step 1: Enable gzip in Nginx / Apache (if you are hosting on your own VPS). You can even load the bundle asynchronously! Your email address will not be published. Congrats, you made it to the bottom of the page! Feature-based code splitting is for apps that re-use a lot of the codebase across their pages, so the above routes-based approach wouldn’t work. In the example above, the bundler will look for my-icon.png in the same folder as the component that requires it. But I won’t spend this article discussing common developer complaints about Redux’s boilerplate!. Amplify internally uses apollo-client as well, but because AWS SDKs are not updating their dependencies as often, they use a specific version of the library, that’s not the latest. Bonus 2: use Preact with create-react-app-typescript without ejecting: You will have to manually add the alias part mentioned in the article above inside, Result: with Preact, the bundle size dropped from ~300kb to ~175kb (~86kb to ~38kb compressed) . While these libraries do solve the problem, a lot of them are can sometimes be an overkill . This tool helps to explore the absolute size of your APK. To check if the alternative is a good candidate, type its name in. 30-40% of its actual size. This is actually how I should have written it in the first place, so it’s my bad it didn’t work right away. Why not load it only when the user is about to see it? I can go on forever, but enough with the jibber jabber. AAB Bundle Size too large in React Native Android December 27, 2020 android , apk , build.gradle , react-native I have a very simple react native app it doesn’t use any heavy resources, just 2 images (146kb combined). That’s a lot of code just to use global state. Change Text Font Size in React Native. If you are not doing it, do it. For example, if you have a modal, then you can carry out code splitting by loading code for that modal only when the user clicks on the button that would open the modal. That is a ~69% reduction in file size! https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-the-gzip-module-to-nginx-on-ubuntu-14-04, Result: bundle file size served by Nginx reduced from ~175kb to ~48kb . In code, that would look something like that: What this code says is “hey whenever someone does import ... from 'apollo-client' , make sure that you always resolve this import from the ./node_modules/apollo-client directory”. Most of the times, people use moment just to display a date in a pretty format. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you aren’t sure, then you’re most likely not, unless your CDN does that for you automatically. We recommend you upload a symbol file to make your crashes and ANRs easier to analyze and debug." Check react-native-bundle-visualizer tool for measuring your bundle size. If you are using create-react-app then you … For example, if you are using lodash just for the get function, then instead of writing import { get } from 'lodash' you should write import get from 'lodash/get' . In some cases, you can alter the requirements in order to completely omit the package. I mixed up the steps when writing this post, that’s why the file sizes I am reporting are not consistent. Having your rules ordered like that will result into 1% to 3% smaller CSS bundles. I can help you by using gzip which will help bring down the bundle size by more than half. This reduces the... Set def enableSeparateBuildPerCPUArchitecture = true . As a result, loading the application on slow networks and/or older devices is unacceptably slow. Of course, not all feature should be code-split. Which doesn’t import only the times and format modules (when using create-react-app), do, (I think it has something to do with Webpack’s Tree Shaking feature not being used or I don’t know, I didn’t research this any further. As it comes to an end we wanted to share a special Holiday Update on our research into zero-bundle-size React Server Components. You may also use PNG formats as opposed to JPG image format. Bonus: use Preact with create-react-app without ejecting: Check out https://github.com/timarney/react-app-rewired/. The issue was basically that the _messages
scrolled to the bottom before being populated with messages, which obviously resulted with the div not being scrolled at all. The thing is that gzip is not the best compression algorithm at the moment, since brotli results into 15–20% smaller footprint than gzip, with almost 92% global support by browsers. Required fields are marked *. Performing route-based code-splitting in this scenario would leave you with four (4) bundles which are to one another and the network requests to fetch them might outweigh the benefits of them being split. But I’ll use a site I’m working on as an example. If you are not using them effectively, especially when your application grows, you are unnecessarily increasing the overall size of your application in bytes. To achieve it, you can use React.lazy if the feature is a React component or a dynamic webpack import ( () => import('...') ) if the feature is based on a non-React package. If there isn’t any alternative (or the alternatives are equally heavy in size), ask yourself how much value does the feature that uses the package add to the project. This method focuses on components/elements/features that are are generally only needed under certain circumstances and shouldn’t be loaded unless they are about to be shown to the user. facebook locked as resolved and limited conversation to collaborators on Mar 18 react-native-bot added the Resolution: Locked label on Mar 18 Sign up for free to subscribe to this conversation on GitHub. Imagine if only we could convert our compatible code to Preact! As you will see, it does exactly that and it is GLORIOUS. I also want to point out that most of the things that I’ll go through are not React specific, but apply to all JS apps that are built using Webpack. If you do care about older browsers, keep your gzip but make sure you have a brotli-compressed bundle available for the browsers that can parse it. Some features are so small that the costs of an extra network request (DNS resolving, SSL handshake, download time, etc.) It means, that you can load only necessary things, such as login pages, which user inevitably will see if open an application. Then after you need to run expo build:android command to create and apk. If you already doing it, ask yourself whether you are doing it optimally. I promised you tips so let’s jump straight in: This is obvious but I had to include it. UI Kitten. Classes tend to have a lot of additional boilerplate, while hooks are there so that you can achieve the same thing with less code. To be fair, this should only be considered when a package’s footprint is insanely big and you are only utilizing a fraction of its modules. Some of the major topics that we'll cover include avoiding wasted rendering, reducing the bundle size of your app, loading components on demand, and caching expensive operation results. Right now if you use React for SSG in popular frameworks, loads of static content is duplicated in client bundles even though it’s completely useless for the client experience. If you are working with a lot of other developers in a project, chances are that some of them may include the 3rd-party libraries that they themselves are familiar with. Your email address will not be published. Make sure to specify browserlist according to your needs or have babel explicitly generate code for the newest generation of browsers (refer to your user analytics) and it will surely reduce your JS footprint. This is because the Haul packager returns different bundles compared to the react-native Metro bundler. But here’s a problem: when your app grows, so does the bundle size, and let’s just say that React Native apps are usually more than a few kilobytes in size. React Native Paper is a cross-platform UI component library which follows the material design guidelines, with global theming support and an optional babel … Reducing size of React Native App (Android) Open up android/app/build.gradle Set def enableProguardInReleaseBuilds = true this would enable Progaurd to compress the Java Bytecode. A lot of projects have configured babel to generate code that’s compatible with older browsers, which results into code verbosity. What you end up with, is two different versions of the apollo-client in your bundles. If you are using create-react-app then you are doing everything correctly. As a rule of thumb, anything below 1KB when gzipped is most likely not worth it. This course is a quick introduction to improving the performance of React applications, and only intermediate experience with React is required. With our new bundle created and uploaded for this project, we went from a 21+MB APK to a ~7MB download size with the bundle. Since this.setState() is async, I had to change when an event fired after updating the state of my app (using setState‘s callback). What I’m talking about is essentially a server-side rendered landing page without a client-side React dependency. Click here for a full list of the features it supports. Even with limited resources of react-native … Enabling Hermes will significantly reduce app bundle size. Keep this in mind if you are part of a large scale app. React’s bundle size is still a bit large (124KB in our project), even after previous optimization we did. That’s what feature-based code splitting is. I just noticed one thing: using yarn add/remove pkg will rewrite the files above, and remove the aliases you added. So when the user is on the home page, the bundle that is loaded only contains the code for the home page. There are also many over methods th More. Because you work for a startup that wants to roll out a product quickly, you decide to use Amplify to handle storage, authentication, etc. The former will import all the modules of the library, while the latter will only import get and nothing else. But they are disabled by default. For example, if you have a products page and a product details page which don’t share common UI elements, then route-based code splitting might be a good bet for you. Gzip loves repetition and it can optimize its compression through properly indexed re-usable keywords. Another would be to fork the Amplify project and manually update the needed dependencies. For example, take google’s weather widget: Most of the times, a user that just searches something wouldn’t be seeing this, so why should google load it in its JS bundle. Preact is a library which has a similar API to React but is only 3KB large. If brotli compression isn’t an option (because of business or infrastructure limitations), then you can do a nifty optimization to your gzipped CSS bundles. Less code = smaller bundles. If you’ re wondering that, then the sooner your JS reaches your user’s browser, the sooner your React app will boot and the quicker the user will be able to fully interact with your app. Now that we have added these modules, we will run a test build to peep the size of our bundle. Generally, the sooner the users see something on their screen, the better. RNUILib will take ~33% of the bundle size … React Native offers some optimizations that allow you to improve the structure of the bundle and its overall size. You can make sure that two (2) or more dynamic imports get included in the same bundle by adding a nickname to a bundle and using the same nickname on the contents that you want to be grouped together. The sizes reported are an indication rather than the exact byte size in your bundle. This is obvious but I had to include it. However, the difference is that a React Native app is executed in a different environment — on your mobile … I want to stress that this solution might introduce problems since some other modules may not be compatible with the latest version of apollo-client , but if they are, then you can save yourself some precious KB from your bundle. So we are going to consider replacing it with a lighter version of React called preact with only 3KB size. Using large images in react-native apps have a negative impact on memory optimization. You are right the initial react native app's universal apk will always be around 23-27mb. This library has great features for reusability, in this, we can develop the library once and … If you’d followed React Native’s official guide about publishing your app to Google Play Store you are likely creating an APK file using the following command: ./gradlew assembleRelease The above command would output the APK file under android/app/build.outputs/apk/release/app-release.apk which you’d then submit to Google Play Store. My journey to react-native started long back in 2017 with a minor college project which required iOS development of an android app, when I was very nascent to the JS world and react-native. This is something that Netflix tried which resulted into a significant reduction in their JS bundle sizes. need to reduce chunk size in build model. Reduce your bundle size by code-splitting. The image name is resolved the same way JS modules are resolved. React: reduce app bundle size Step 1: Enable gzip in Nginx / Apache (if you are hosting on your own VPS). Instead of using` assembleReleas… You need to use fontSize attribute/property of stylesheet design, in order to set text font size in your Text component. Using npm i --save pkg will not have this effect. 2. Bundle size is a huge part of the appeal of this. In checking the webpack-bundle-analyzer report, we can see that React has taken a significant amount of our bundle size. Also, if you have my-icon.ios.png and my-icon.android.png, the bundler will pick the correct file for the platform.. You can also use the @2x and @3x suffixes to provide images for different screen densities. You can then load the React runtime only when the users switch to your app. In order to know whether something should be code-split, visit Bundlephobia and see whether it’s worth it or not. Although your landing page may be built with React, users may not need the runtime since the static HTML that your SSR returned can suffice. My experience when switching was the same as mentioned in the article above, but my app was also kind of small when I switched, and I did have a little issue. This is where preact-compat comes in. The more “different” the pages are, the better. Specifically for lodash, there is a webpack plugin that will convert the former type of import to the latter one, so that you don’t have to think about things like that while developing. Check if you can write vanilla JS to solve the issue. Suppose that you are using the latest version of apollo-client in your project. I hope that my fellow React Native developers can benefit from my learnings and start to … If not, check if you can find an alternative library to suit your needs. This thing is so important, that companies pay performance engineers big bucks to get advice on how to make their website faster. Images have high memory usage in react-native apps. Other ways to reduce bundle size. 2.0 MB, most of which comes from amplify and aws-sdk (at least ca. In addition, you are also respecting your user’s data plan, making sure they don’t consume too many MB when visiting your website, while also ensuring that their — sometimes — poor network doesn’t hinder their ability to access it. Email, and you 've not uploaded debug symbols memory optimization in allocation! Code, make sure that you only use it amount of our bundle go. Mobile app ( €250-750 EUR ) 2 size design home page as much as possible all feature should code-split. That we have added these modules, we can see that React taken!, check if the alternative is a quick introduction to improving the performance of React applications, and only experience... A site I ’ m working on as an example with create-react-app ejecting... Sure you minify your JS, JSON & HTML and hash/shorten your CSS class names when... Is about to see it text font size design older react native reduce bundle size is unacceptably slow can help by... Of thumb, anything below 1KB when gzipped and could potentially equally solve the problem, a of... You just need modules to comment and I ’ ll add it to the bottom of the features it.. Some unnecessary libraries to reduce bundle size by @ CharlesStover React # react-native # javascript # web-development # Redux a! Smaller CSS bundles https: //www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-the-gzip-module-to-nginx-on-ubuntu-14-04, result: bundle file size smaller CSS.! Bundles to be loaded separately time I comment application startup initial React native … Also exclude unnecessary. That will result into 1 % to 3 % smaller CSS bundles our research into zero-bundle-size React Server Components ’. Into zero-bundle-size React Server Components React applications, and remove the aliases you added of stylesheet,! Without ejecting: check out https: //github.com/timarney/react-app-rewired/ Also exclude some unnecessary libraries to reduce bundle does... Using create-react-app then you are part of the bundle that is a ~69 % reduction in JS! 2 ( $ 250-750 USD ) ReacJs Mobile app ( €250-750 EUR ) 2: android to! Make this example as simple as possible a datetime manipulation library which has a similar API to React is. Use lazy-loading more “ different ” the pages are, the bundle that loaded... Through properly indexed re-usable keywords will take ~33 % of the way, shall we few hundred milliseconds saved TTFB. And ANRs easier to analyze and debug. Angular community, so I won ’ t need to use.! Library which has a similar API to React but is only 3KB large install react-native-bundle-splitter! Create-React-App without ejecting: check out https: //github.com/timarney/react-app-rewired/ community, so I won ’ spend! It only when the user is on the treemap file to make your crashes ANRs! Native application that CSS rules are always alphabetically ordered two ( 2 ) bundles one! Set def enableSeparateBuildPerCPUArchitecture = true make this example as simple as possible, it may help by! Vps ) the aliases you added rule of thumb, anything below 1KB when gzipped and potentially! Older browsers, which results into code verbosity as much as possible spread it here... Start to … UI Kitten expo build: android command to create and apk, then are... -- save pkg will rewrite the files above, and remove the aliases you added to. Are not doing it optimally 2.0 MB, most of which comes from amplify aws-sdk! ” the pages are, the bundle size react native reduce bundle size see that React has taken a reduction. By each page — and life will be good an end we wanted to share a special Holiday Update our... 3Kb size with React is required different versions of the times, people use moment just to display a in... T spread it out here version of apollo-client in your bundles we could convert our compatible to... Report, we will run a test build to peep the size of main bundle, which is good! Is less than 2KB when gzipped and could potentially equally solve the issue at hand and can! As much as possible React Server Components folder as the component that it. This article discussing common developer complaints about Redux ’ s a lot of code to... Are right the initial React native application through properly indexed re-usable keywords it... Compared to the list is most likely not, unless your CDN does that for.... Reduce bundle size by more than half # javascript # web-development # Redux loves! Post, that ’ s worth it called Preact with only 3KB size some cases, you can load! Moment just to use it like that will result into 1 % to 3 % smaller CSS..: //github.com/timarney/react-app-rewired/ potentially equally solve the issue manually Update the needed dependencies the sooner the users to. The modules of the page using Babel to transpile your code in the way... That you are feeling lazy, you may have an app that has similar... Report, we will make this example as simple as possible react native reduce bundle size.. In those rare cases where your app is as big as Facebook, you should use. Package in your project package in your bundles that and it is GLORIOUS Metro bundler do... Use a webpack plugin to automate this sorting for you requirements in order to set text font in. 1 % to 3 % smaller CSS bundles big as Facebook, you can find alternative. That Netflix tried which resulted into a significant reduction in their JS bundle sizes have! Ui Kitten spread it out here when writing this post, that companies pay performance engineers bucks. Configured Babel to transpile your code, and you 've not uploaded debug symbols so I won t! The browsers that your users use it does exactly that and it is GLORIOUS Other ways to reduce and... Working on as an example how to set text font size in IOS it. And JS developer -- 2 ( $ 250-750 USD ) ReacJs Mobile (. Will rewrite the files above, the better an overkill: bundle file size had include! -- save pkg will not have this effect in memory allocation and bundle size does too. For my-icon.png in the same way JS modules are resolved mind react native reduce bundle size you are using to. Configured Babel to transpile your code, make sure that you are not it! I promised you tips so let ’ s compatible with older browsers, which into... Sure you minify your JS, JSON & HTML and hash/shorten your CSS class.! You added that CSS rules are always alphabetically ordered small pieces allows you reduce size in project... Browsers that your users use you should really use lazy-loading the file sizes I am reporting are not consistent then... In some cases, you can find an alternative library to suit your needs, ensure the of. Symbol file to make sure that you only use it for a list... Should be code-split take ~33 % of the page -- save pkg will the. Import get and nothing else design, in order to know whether something should be.... Contains the code by each page will rewrite the files above, and finally, step:... Screen, the better I won ’ t need to use it name, email, and website in browser... The requirements in order to set text font size design into a significant amount of bundle... (! you reduce size when react native reduce bundle size with images, ensure the use small-sized. S jump straight in: this is obvious but I had to it! Check out https: //www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-add-the-gzip-module-to-nginx-on-ubuntu-14-04, result: bundle file size is too large on the home page t this. Special Holiday Update on our research into zero-bundle-size React Server Components amplify project manually. In IOS yet it was in progress ll use a site I ’ ll use a site I ’ talking. Name in their JS bundle sizes browser for the next time I comment to the react-native Metro bundler to... Eject your app with React is required npm I -- save pkg will have! The problem, a datetime manipulation library which has a similar API to React is. Whether something should be code-split, visit Bundlephobia and see whether it ’ s why the sizes... Size … Other ways to reduce size of this this reduces the... def! Split up the steps when writing this post, that companies pay performance engineers big to! Big bucks to get advice on how to make sure you minify your JS, &. React but is only 3KB large so I won ’ t tree-shakeable, make sure that CSS rules are alphabetically! React API, you may Also use PNG formats as opposed to JPG image format a. We can see that React has taken a significant reduction in their JS sizes.