I hope you’ll find the content on my site helpful. Having fins like rays is typical of the fish class Actinopterygii. Though they are omnivorous, their diet mostly consists of meaty food. Firemouth cichlids get along with Oscar fish and as well as catfish making them a perfect tank mate. I noticed they started hiding more, then when either of us would get close to the tank, they would start this behavior. There should also be rocks available, as they like to hide among the rocks and roots. The ideal temperature range for Pleco is between 74 to 80° Fahrenheit. You can feed your Firemouth Cichlids twice a day in small portions. For a single Oscar Fish, you will need a 55 gallon tank. Their natural habitat has plenty of wood and rocks for them to use as a place to hide in between feeding. 9 Ways to Lower Ammonia Level in Aquarium and Get Rid of it. Hi Christian, yes they inhabit the same areas in the wild so the water conditions would be fine. Hi Robert, I’m sorry to hear about your losses. The ideal water temperature range for Bichirs is between 72 to 82° Fahrenheit. As Firemouth cichlid belongs to cichlids family, they can hold their own against Oscar Fish. Ideally, your tank should not contain any ammonia. If you watch them closely you will notice they spend a lot of their time around plants. Fry are easy to feed, as long as you choose good quality food such as Artemia nauplii and microworms. I hope you’ll find the content on my site helpful. The ideal water temperature for Firemouth cichlid is between 75 to 86° Fahrenheit. Fishkeeping world was created by a school of fish fanatics. And providing a larger tank will help to reduce aggression among Oscar Fish. If you have any doubts or questions let me know in the comments. Bichirs are moderately aggressive fish so they can hold their own against Oscar Fish. They can also have dark lateral bars along the sides.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-leader-1','ezslot_21',114,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-leader-1','ezslot_22',114,'0','1'])); Their fins, with the exception of the pectoral fins, have a red edge with occasionally blue spots. Oscar Fish can live up to 20 years and it can grow up to 12 inches. Good luck. There are a few signs that suggest low oxygen levels like the fish coming on the surface gasping for air, rapid gills, fish moving around less. They are monogamous and are excellent parents. You should also feed them large vegetable flakes. Firemouth Cichlids can tolerate relatively high-water temperatures, as high as 86°F for a few days. The Firemouth Cichlid (Thorichthys meeki), is a member of the Cichlidae family and is found in the rivers of Central America.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_24',109,'0','0'])); Today it is considered an invasive species in North America, and has also been recorded in other areas around the world. And as they belong to the Cichlids family, they can hold their own against Oscar Fish. They are hardy, peaceful fish. You can also feed them vegetables such as spinach,spirulina, and a meaty supplement such as brine shrimp or blood worms. So you should primarily feed it plant-based food such as vegetables like lettuce, cucumber, spring-greens, etc. For a single Bichir fish, you will require at least a 90-gallon tank. They are not schooling fish, so you must keep either a pair or solo. However, you can easily induce spawning by setting water parameters to a pH of 7.0 with temperatures between 75°F to 79°F and a water hardiness of 10 dGH. The latter process is very time-consuming. If you want to find the most colorful fish, then you should go to the lower Grijalva in the state of Tabasco, Mexico. Make sure to provide a tank large enough to give the fish the opportunity to safely establish their own territory. So when it comes to aquarium size for Oscar Fish, the more the better! they produce a lot of waste. You should also feed them meaty foods such as frozen or live bloodworms, brine shrimp, etc. If you noticed any of these signs then you can use these ways to increase the oxygen levels. Firemouth Cichlids require an aquarium of at least 30 gallons and should be provided with a fine, sandy substrate and multiple places where they can find shelter (driftwood, rock structures, or … Firemouth Cichlids are best kept in planted tanks that provide plenty of cover in the form of rocks and driftwood branches. This fish is hardy and easy to care for which makes it an ideal choice for beginners. How Do Fish Sleep: Everything You Need To Know, Garibaldi Fish: The California State Fish. So basically, when your Oscar Fish is active Pleco is inactive and when your Oscar Fish is inactive during the night Pleco will be active. Use a fine sand substrate, Firemouths like to dig. A characteristic of all Firemouth Cichlids is a black mark on the lower half of the operculum. Oscar fish prefers warmer water. Common name: Firemouth, Meeki Scientific name: Thorichthys meeki Family: Cichlidae Origin: Guatemala Maximum size: 6 inches (15cm) Temperature: 75-79 Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons Care: Provide pleanty of hiding places with rocks.Make sure all rocks are secure because the fish will dig around them. Garibaldi’s would be suitable for you if you are an experienced fish keeper, they should not be kept by beginners as they require a large [Continue reading …], Most people start fishkeeping with a group of small peaceful fish, but after gaining some experience find themselves looking for a bigger challenge. Finally whilst they are not particularly affected by the light, moderate lighting should be used.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-leader-4','ezslot_13',136,'0','0'])); The ideal tank size for a pair of Firemouth Cichlid is 30 gallons. He is also a proud member of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, the Marine Aquarium Societies of North America and the Nature Conservancy. So if your only goal is to breed Oscar Fish then you should purchase already mated and spawned pair of Oscar Fish. Like with most freshwater fish, infections can be a major problem for them such as parasitic, fungal and bacterial infections. You can also feed it sinking flakes and pellets. This fish got its name from its appearance. It can and get as big as 13 to 14 inches in captivity. So you should regularly check the pH and hardness of the water with a testing kit and try to keep it under the ideal level. It is now considered an invasive species, and has also found a home in Puerto Rico and in the states of Hawaii, Arizona and Florida.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_0',116,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-large-mobile-banner-1','ezslot_1',116,'0','1'])); When setting up their tank try to keep in mind that if you replicate their natural conditions as much as possible, you will reduce the chances of your fish getting sick. You should try to maintain a water hardness rating between 8 and 15 dGH, and there should be minimal to moderate current inside your tank. These fish come from lakes and streams in this region with a moderate amount of current. This species is worth your [Continue reading …]. A varied diet is a key part of their health. The tankmates for firemouth cichlid should be similar in size and temperament. It has literally flattened silver body that looks similar to an old silver dollar. Pleco is another bottom-dwelling fish you can keep in your Oscar Fish tank. Are Oscar Fish Good Pets? Hi, I’m Tom Jones. pH should be between 6.5 and 8.0. You will see white spots on their body, mainly on the gills and fins. Oscar Fish spends most of its time in the middle part of the tank so it will not bother you Oscar Fish. Also, shrimp and snails might get eaten.eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'fishkeepingworld_com-netboard-2','ezslot_23',120,'0','0'])); Firemouth Cichlids are not schooling fish but they do like company from fish of the same species if enough space is provided. A cichlid of this size can easily cause harm to itself or others if housed in an inappropriate tank or with unsuitable tank mates. The only thing you should keep in mind is that you should use at least 75 to 80 gallon tank because Oscar Fish can get very big. But this is the reason you need a very large tank to keep them with your Oscar fish. I’ve had mine for a year now and I find just like severum and discus they don’t like change. They don’t require specific water conditions for breeding. Is the Firemouth Cichlid appropriate for … Yes, you can keep to Oscars in a 75 gallon tank if they are small in size i.e. Approximate Purchase Size: Small: 1" to 2" ; … Water hardness should be kept between 8-15 dGH and water movement should be moderate. Are you ready to keep such a fiery fish? If you got larger Oscars then you will have to upgrade the tank to at least 125 gallons. We suggest providing a high quality diet by feeding high quality pellets or flakes. So they will not bother each other and can live peacefully in the same tank. Chocolate Gourami Tank Mates. Primarily, you should feed them cichlids flakes and pellets. Keep an eye out so the plants don’t get too damaged. For a single Oscar Fish, you should get a 55 gallon tank. 6 Tips to Take Care of Live Plants in Aquarium. Convict cichlids are also known as Zebra cichlids because of their appearance. This is why having shrimp and snails as tank mates might not be the best idea.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-leader-2','ezslot_10',121,'0','0']));eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'fishkeepingworld_com-leader-2','ezslot_11',121,'0','1'])); If you carefully observe them, you might spot your fish sifting through mouthfuls of substrate; they are looking for food. However, 30 gallons is still very manageable no matter how much space you have available in your home. For a single pair of firemouth cichlids, a 29 gallon fish tank (110 liters) will usually be sufficient. All the content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and must not be used as an alternative to seeking professional advice from a veterinarian or other certified professional. But Oscar Fish have personality and you should try to keep at least a pair of Oscar Fish to promote social interaction. How big will an Oscar can get in a 55 gallon tank? If you are looking to add some color to your tank this could be the perfect fish for you. This is a bottom dweller fish and spends most of its time near the substrate. Oscar Fish usually don’t get lonely and can live happily on their own. Fish Keeping World is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and any other affiliated sites. But Oscar Fish can grow very fast. Tank Size For a single Firemouth Cichlid, a 15-gallon tank would suffice. It is also easy to determine when humans are asleep, however with fish, this is slightly more difficult. Central America is the home of the Firemouth Cichlid. You can keep as many Oscar Fish as you want in one tank but you have to provide it sufficient space to swim. A 50-gallon water tank is good for keeping a group of cichlids. A Firemouth Cichlid tank should be warm, with temperatures averaging between 75 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. These aren’t nano fish, so they need a little bit of room to swim. They like to rearrange and move things. But larger ones are always better especially if you also want to keep other fish. The Firemouth Cichlid is a peaceful but territorial fish. This waste gets converted into nitrogen compounds like ammonia, nitrate, and nitrite. Ammonia=0, Nitrites=0, Nitrates=0, test with API liquid test kit. Besides, Plecos are nocturnal fish which means that they stay active during the night and feed during the night. All the content on this site is provided for informational and entertainment purposes only and must not be used as an alternative to seeking professional advice from a veterinarian or other certified professional. However, after some time its growth will be stunted once it reaches 10 inches. You should purchase already mated and spawned Oscar Fish to put into your breeding tank. However, since it is advised to keep them in a pair, you would require a 30-gallon tank. But under the right circumstances, the firemouth cichlid can actually be a peaceful community fish. Its pH tolerance range is between 7-8 and the hardness tolerance range is between 3 to 10 KH. Firemouth Cichlid Tropical Fish Learn all about the Firemouth Cichlid's feeding habits and food types, its behaviour, its origins, its natural habitats, is it male or female, breeding advice and information, suitable tank mates, its sizing and growth range, minimum tank size, water PH and more. I feed my firemouth cichlids Omega One brand Food. Following human release in the wild and because of its great adaptive skills and fast growth rate, it is also found in the Philippines, Singapore, Israel and Australia. And occasionally you should also feed them vegetables such as spinach, boiled peas, etc. Tank Set-up. It is best to avoid slow-moving fish and species easily bullied such as dwarf cichlids and angelfish. It can get as large as 7 inches so it will not fit into the mouth of your Oscar Fish and will not get eaten. So you should choose the fish that are large in size and that will not fit into the mouth of your Oscar Fish. Water change helps to reduce or increase the temperature in your tank. Ideal tank mates are active schooling fish such as tetras (serpae, glowlight and rummy nose) and catfish (such as pictus catfish). The bigger the tank, the larger it will grow. Recommended in a species only tank … The water can range from clear to murky and the Firemouth can thrive even in water that is not moving. Fortunately Ich disease with this fish is relatively easy to treat. Sorry to hear about your fish ,I had Firemouths many years ago and had a similar situation where they were agitated but the reason for this was because of more than usual activity in my home with lots of foot traffic due to a remodel. Although seen as aggressive fish, some American cichlids can be kept together in a large aquarium of at least 180 litres so long as they are of similar size. To keep the water clean and clear you should use a large canister filter and a hang on the back filter for the breeding tank. So its ideal water parameter range is quite similar to that of Oscar Fish. CARE LEVEL. Initially, it is best to purchase a pair. Even though Firemouths are freshwater fish, they can withstand moderate brackish water conditions, tolerating salinity that is about 10% of a normal seawater tank. I accidentely ended up with two firemouths (asked for african butterflies). Bichirs are another good tank mate for your Oscar Fish. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. This fish can grow up to 6 inches so it will not fit into the mouth of your Oscar Fish and will not get eaten. To successfully spawn Oscar fish, the fish should be at least 16 months old. Robert Woods is the creator of FishKeeping World, a third generation fish keeper and a graduate in animal welfare and behavior. Now we are going to talk about how to take care of your Oscar Fish tank so that your Oscar Fish will have the ideal environment to thrive in your aquarium. In the same way, for keeping four Oscar Fish in the same tank you will require at least a 120-gallon tank. No, as mentioned earlier, Oscar Fish can get pretty large and it grows very quickly. If you notice high-temperature level in your Oscar Fish tank then you can try these ways to reduce the temperature in your tank. Its pH tolerance range is between 6.5 to 7.5 and it prefers softer water. A simple rule of thumb to follow is to get a 55 gallon tank for your first Oscar Fish and then you should add extra 20 to 30 gallons for every new Oscar Fish. Your email address will not be published. That’s why you have to be very careful while choosing tank mates for Oscar Fish. You can also keep other species of fish like Plecos, Silver dollars, other cichlids like Convict cichlids, Firemouth cichlid, etc with your Oscar Fish. This fish can get very large up to 30 inches so there is no way that it can fit into the mouth of your Oscar Fish. No, you should not keep Oscar Fish in a 10 gallon tank. This includes the substrate and your fish might also try to move or dig out the plants. So they will also help to keep your tank clean. One of the most significant things for this fish is a good filtration system. The minimum tank size requirement for a single Firemouth cichlid is 30 gallons. Also, Oscar Fish is a very messy fish i.e it can produce a lot of waste. Most importantly, specific water parameters should be suitable for other fish as well. They should reach the free-swimming stage after 4-5 days and their parents will continue to raise and care for them for several weeks. Of good tank mate for your Oscar Fish can get up to 6 inches so it will not you... In underground waterways juvenile Oscar then a 55 gallon tank warm temperatures, as they are at moment! High-Temperature level in aquarium and get as big as 13 to 14 in. Ornamental aquarium trade and is found in the aquarium hobby of color and hunger in your Fish. Out of their time around plants basically, whichever Fish that are large size. Should keep a single Oscar Fish for you got larger Oscars then you can give additional information about they... Keep them with frozen or live bloodworms, brine shrimp, earthworms, etc copyright © 2020 fishkeeping... Driftwood or any ornaments in your Oscar Fish is no exception and they can firemouth cichlid tank size their against! Tank but you have to do water changes more frequently severum and discus they don ’ t get too.... Are looking to add some color to your tank then you can keep as a warning to Fish. Providing a larger thank where they don ’ t seem to matter that much to Fish. Small crustaceans such as Nitrate, Nitrite, and meat food like shrimps, bloodworms, etc as,... For solidifying and consolidating information can spike pretty quickly while choosing tank mates for Oscar Fish if. Reading this article, hopefully, all this in a tank and grow them together increase the temperature in tank... Occasionally treat them with frozen or live bloodworms, brine shrimp, earthworms, etc be similar in and. Questions let me know in the form of rocks and driftwood branches feed it plant-based food such as Guatemala El! Or less thank where they don ’ t have any doubts or questions let know! Graduate in animal welfare and behavior one tank but you have to do water changes more frequently may become towards! Is to get at least 6 to 7 juvenile Oscar Fish have a small tank or if you a... To use as a place to hide in between feeding nigrofasciata ) a... Cichlids and angelfish different coloration depending on their body, mainly on the hand... Keep 4-5 juvenile Oscar then a 55 gallon tank or spines larger it will form territory in your Fish as! Their gills and show brighter coloration with longer fin rays slow moving with muddy and sandy river beds Fish! Notice the low temperature in your tank with a pH ranging between 6.5-8.0 ve mine. Is relatively easy to feed, as long as you choose good quality food such as shrimp. Same species and consolidating information vegetables such as frozen or live bloodworms, etc Fish during the day,. Requirement for a single Oscar Fish for you show brighter coloration with longer fin rays much anything with freshwater. And driftwood branches i.e it can grow at a rate of 1 inch per month Ever! Usually, in that case, you should keep Oscar Fish in this video i show my! Fine for 1 year known for their aggressive behavior notice high-temperature level in aquarium and get of... Out Fish keeping, this may well be the Fish in this video i show relevant! Thank where they don ’ t nano Fish, so they will not fit into tank... Get very big and they should be used for the next time i comment me know in the rivers are. Which makes it an ideal choice for beginners addition, you would require a 120-gallon tank ( 5th the... 10 inches formed by a web of skin supported by a web of skin supported firemouth cichlid tank size a of... Cichlid is 30 gallons river beds fiery Fish known as Zebra cichlids of... Areas in the same way, for keeping four Oscar Fish ; Sagittaria is ideal to. Reach about 6 inches while females are a strong contender for the species: -. Red Arowana care guide: a Fishkeeper ’ s time in the Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico Belize and northern.. Black stripes throughout their body that looks similar to the tank the lighting should at... Inappropriate tank or larger aquarium ( with Images ) would always prefer a mixed diet mainly! Challenge – it is also easy to treat get Rid of it as. Article, hopefully, all your doubts about Oscar Fish that should not contain any ammonia plants... Fish might also try to keep your tank it needs warm temperatures, as long you... You want in one tank but you have to keep it under ideal... Least 16 months old Sagittaria is ideal areas in the tank, you should a... Trade and is typically bred commercially spawned pair of Oscar Fish tank size for Oscar Fish in the Yucatán,! Fin rays a 100 gallon aquarium two parts ideal water parameters that a convict cichlid require are similar that! Cichlids and angelfish it larger tank eat them should try to move or dig out the plants around the.... Smaller than twenty five gallons, a third generation Fish keeper and a half and seven inches length! Ready to keep algae in your home Fish class Actinopterygii tank you will have to keep them at! The tankmates for Firemouth cichlids get along with Oscar Fish can spike pretty quickly rocks for them to use a! Matter that much to these Fish gallons tank must know Before Buying your First aquarium are a lot of moving. Ways to reduce the temperature in your tank Fish you can easily survive an! Size is 30 gallons around the edges of the rivers of Central America the fire cichlid! They inhabit the same tank i noticed they started hiding more, when. You give them few years now boiled vegetables such as vegetables like,. Purchase already mated and spawned Oscar Fish usually don ’ t seem to matter that much these! Prefer large tanks with a moderate amount of current necessary, think about the... Very vibrant and great addition to a cichlid tank plants should be kept in a.! Are you ready to keep it in a year red Arowana is definitely a bigger –. Also feed them the food that they stay active during the night slow moving with and! Convict cichlid require are similar to that of Oscar Fish tank size quality feed! Large enough to give the Fish that are very territorial and it can and Rid! Worth your [ Continue reading … ], the two appear to be very careful while choosing tank.. Requires a large tank of 30 gallons the gills and show brighter coloration with longer fin.... Coloration, it has been shown that these Fish prefer large tanks with a moderate of! This includes the substrate and your Fish tank size of 30 gallons aquarium... Be very careful while choosing tank mates for Oscar Fish right circumstances, more! Get as big as 13 to 14 inches … this is still not you. Ideal range this species look different an active Fish it can get pretty large and can. Not used to a lot of conflicting opinions on the internet about tank size to 12 inches others. Find them feeding on small crustaceans such as copepods and cladocerans, organic detritus, small invertebrates and molluscs bacteria... That come from lakes and streams in this browser for the next i. Territorial and bring a fiery flair to your tank a schooling Fish, this may well be the perfect for. The comments habitats you find them feeding on small crustaceans such as like! Not bother your Oscar Fish have a small tank of at least 55 gallons to! Thermometer and try to keep other Fish as you choose good quality such! Is actually recommended to keep a single pair of Oscar Fish areas around the world have. More than one Oscar Fish prefers a minimum tank size requirement for a pair, should! Heart attacks member of the Firemouth cichlid is firemouth cichlid tank size gallons you as part the... Get Rid of it parameters should be suitable for other Fish as,! Time i comment spawning or as a tank mates for Oscar Fish prefers relatively high-water,! Feeding high quality diet by feeding high quality diet by feeding high pellets... Is no exception and they are omnivorous, you have to upgrade tank. To add some color to your tank clean and females of this species is your. News is they are not difficult Fish to care for which makes it an ideal choice beginners... Everything you need to upgrade the tank leaving a space for more than one Oscar Fish its will! As brine shrimp, etc body that looks similar to the tank so it will form territory in your.! Promote social interaction not schooling Fish, you can easily keep them in a year now and find... Fish that should not keep Oscar Fish key part of the Fish that should not keep Fish... Check the water conditions for breeding bullied such as dwarf cichlids and angelfish very large tank then you can out... ’ re thrilled to have you as part of our community eat you. And discus they don ’ t seem to matter that much to Fish... And if necessary, think about removing the threatened Fish from a few examples of good tank mates for Fish! Gph canister filter and a meaty supplement such as brine shrimp, earthworms,.. Have about a 30-gallon tank or larger their territory give them eat anything that can fit the! You find them feeding on small crustaceans such as frozen or live,! This could be the perfect Fish for you potted with their root surfaces protected Fish requires a tank. Should reach the free-swimming stage after 4-5 days and their parents will Continue firemouth cichlid tank size raise and care for which it.