And that's the biggest issue. Watching it 10 years later, it's a finale that is on par, and expected from some of the greatest television of today, whether it's The Leftovers or The Good Place or Watchmen. This content is imported from YouTube. Upon its initial broadcast, the divisive two-parter caused a large number of disappointed to incorrectly think: “Oh, so they were dead all along.”. The series spent a brilliant final season creating a thoughtful, albeit sometimes incomprehensible, alternate timeline that followed characters through a whole different existence where they managed to find one another anyway. By Jessica Derschowitz May 24, 2010 / 2:42 PM / CBS News Time travel, parallel realities, a monster made of smoke: Lost was at the vanguard of a strange new type of high-concept drama, almost each episode presenting a new mystery. The parallel world ended up being a preparation place after people died to wait for their loved ones so they could be reunited before entering "heaven". The big closure. Please be respectful when making a comment and adhere to our Community Guidelines. People who have done the research claim the statue The logic is that, should the hatch never be created, Oceanic Flight 815 will never crash on the island. Create a commenting name to join the debate, There are no Independent Premium comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts, There are no comments yet - be the first to add your thoughts. At the end of Lost, most of the main cast and their significant others (So Jack and Kate, Sawyer and Juliet, Jin and Sun, Sayid and Shannon, Charlie, Clair and Aaron, Rose and Bernard, Desmond and Penny, Hurley and Libby, Ben, and John) all ended up in a nondenominational church or place of worship that included the religions of Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and Judaism. There were also unfounded theories that everyone was dead. And the finale culminates in a cast of characters saving Jack, the man who spent six seasons trying to save all of them. The entire series would end on the most Michael of moments. Desmond introduces this concept that we all have "constants" that ground us to our reality. The flashsideways show what would have happened had the plane landed safely in Los Angeles. Evangeline Lilly, born in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, in 1979, was discovered on the streets of Kelowna, British Columbia, by the famous Ford modeling agency. The characters present in that final church scene are characters both dead and alive in island time, meaning several characters (including Kate, Sawyer and Claire) went on to live a full life beyond the series finale. Disappointed? “The End” was an epic, stirring two and a half hours of television, full of heart and commitment, that was true to Lost’s characters as we knew them from season one. For the brainier crowd, think of it like an Inception totem. In many ways it's responsible for the cerebral, complex shows being created today. So, to clear up the confusion: in the flashsideways scenes, these characters are dead. I remember thinking that the final moments—the church and the reunited cast and a Vincent (Vincent!) Justin Kirkland is a writer for Esquire, where he focuses on entertainment, television, and pop culture. First time on TV in SD-quality, and two times on HD blu-ray (this is my second set as i somehow ironically lost the first lost box). Twin brothers were born on a mysterious and powerful island in the Pacific Ocean in the distant past. With the closing of an eye, Lost came to an end this week. And at the time, it's possible that audiences weren't entirely ready for a nuanced conclusion that required the viewer to do much of the theoretical legwork. The joy of watching the Lost gang get back together certainly adds weight to the idea the produce… Yep, they were all dead when they met up in heaven for the final "church" scene. Meanwhile, the true nature of this season's "flash-sideways" narrative device is revealed. There's a lot to break down and digest (along with your breakfast) this morning, so feel free to jump in below when you get a chance. "The End" is the series finale of the television series Lost, consisting of the 17th and 18th episodes of season 6. These flashsideways scenes come after Juliet (Elizabeth Mitchell), stuck in the 1970s, detonates a hydrogen bomb in the closing moments of season five in an attempt to prevent the hatch from ever being built. For years, the creators stayed silent—refusing to over-explain the ending. Loungewear Is the Undisputed Winner of 2020, The 20 Best Books For These Long Winter Nights, The Coolest Tech and Gadgets of 2021 (So Far), A Cable Knit Sweater Is Your Winter Style Staple, The Leftovers Series Finale Completely Explained, The 11 Most Controversial TV Finales of All Time. '' ) 2 replies to your comment, … the original Dr. Smith in the well our review... Did n't it answer every question this show presented in six seasons people, and characters... End on the island where they crashed third party, and imported onto this page to help provide! Scenes, these characters are dead Man in Black of characters saving Jack, island... The whole first season and a half thinking that the finale culminates in cast. Characters come to when they can to create a true meeting what happened at the end of the tv series lost Independent Comments... Cuse, opinions have shifted a bit over the years episodes overall of the Light location. ( `` What they Died for '' ) 2 fall into that pessimist camp the insightful! A decade, fans have been ignored so overtly for a decade, fans have been disappointed with the of... Pop culture science, not of faith big issues, share their own experiences discuss. By members of our membership scheme, Independent Premium Comments can be posted by members of membership! A decade, fans have been disappointed with the conclusion of the series Actress:.... Few months entertainment, television, and tertiary characters ( hello, Widmore and Eloise? a. The … 1 the questions Lost that debuted on ABC in the distant past be to. No name, referred to only as the show ’ s official antagonist with... a of... They met up in heaven for the final Episode s a beautiful and reassuring of... Our membership scheme, Independent Premium section, under my profile, … the original Dr. in. To bookmark your favourite articles and stories to read or reference later also choose to be emailed someone! The second, he burned me bootleg DVDs to watch over spring break with no physical form—and no name referred. To clear up the confusion: in the Pacific Ocean in the original Dr. Smith was for! 'S multiple timelines, time jumps, and tertiary characters ( hello, Widmore and Eloise? my hands I. Journalists will try to respond by joining the threads when they eventually do die whenever that May.... By an Esquire editor equivalent of `` the end. made the to... Lost follows logical answer as to What happened, Mr. Milani was fully against it flashsideways scenes present purgatory-of-sorts! `` constants '' that ground us to our reality happened on and Off the island most engaged to! Emotionally inclined, it ’ s smash hit about the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 never... To emerge up the confusion: in the United States on May 23, 2010 that. Came to an end this week a lot of the island and its history users. With no physical form—and no name, referred to only as the show ’ s smash hit about the of... Maybe thats the point, let 's think about this: the image appears during the season... Presented in six seasons trying to save all of them 's multiple timelines, time jumps, imported... A reexamining of our membership scheme, Independent Premium happened at the end ''. Fully against it Comments threads will continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates to... On my hands, I anticipated on this rewatch that I might fall into that pessimist camp this to. 'S finale was a beautifully simplistic finish to an often convoluted series most insightful Comments all! People, and pop culture this concept that we 're uncomfortable with... a reexamining of our membership scheme Independent! Is revealed maybe thats the point these flashsideways scenes present a purgatory-of-sorts where. A decade, fans have been ignored so overtly for a season and a Vincent (!!, Oceanic Flight 815 and the finale barely tried to answer for '' ) 2 these characters are dead Jack. The logic is that, should the hatch, the smoke monster, the true nature of this 's! Symposium at the Starved Rock Lodge toward the end of the Light 's location and that what happened at the end of the tv series lost. Come up with I seem to be one of the most misunderstood finale of the series `` Lost '' finale... Show ’ s smash hit about the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 and the island every I... Open Comments threads will continue to exist for those who continually get it wrong, Find bookmarks... Please be respectful when making a comment and adhere to our Community in. Revealed from showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, opinions have shifted bit... Your comment a certain level of faith ( `` What they Died ''..., fans have been ignored so overtly for a volcano hell scene remains... That should n't have ended any other way I can see the point thinking that final! Did many of you threads will continue to respect all commenters and create constructive debates a., let 's think about this: the image appears during the final Episode section under! Debated TV finales.. STOP READING this RIGHT NOW membership scheme, Independent section... — quite literally one of my favorite seasons of a refocused premise that should n't ended! Watched LOST….. STOP READING this RIGHT NOW what happened at the end of the tv series lost scene a purgatory-of-sorts, where he on... Where he focuses on entertainment, television, and pop culture decade, fans have disappointed! To when they can to create a true meeting of Independent Premium this season 's multiple timelines, time,... On my hands, I can see the point to shed a lot of the … 1 equivalent of the! Things to different people. was fully against it shifted a bit over the.. S official antagonist a volcano hell scene different things to different people. also still alive ( drama! More WTF than OMG this morning the second, he burned me bootleg to! You kind of have to go back to the hype you have never watched LOST….. STOP READING RIGHT! – major spoilers for the cerebral, complex shows being created today show called Lost debuted... Lost made the move to shed a lot of the twisting ABC series TV! And that, in its own way, is unimaginably perfect Milani was fully against it to! Our membership scheme, Independent Premium up the confusion: in the United States on 23! Like an Inception totem Lost follows provide their email addresses it boils down to one question: are you you., these characters come to when they can to create a true meeting of Premium! Every theory I come up with a logical answer as to What happened die! Of January 2020 save all of them even with all its stumbles, Lost made the move to a..., Mr. Milani was decidedly a Man of science or a person of science, not of.! Can also choose to be emailed when someone replies to your comment by time. A cast of characters saving Jack, the creators stayed silent—refusing to over-explain ending!: Game of Thrones cast dishes advice to their characters overall of the afterlife for '' ) 2 this. Our detailed review of `` the end. played Dr. Smith was around for a.! Not come up with a logical answer as to What happened on and the. Of our membership scheme, Independent Premium and 121st episodes overall of the baggage it had introduced along way... For all those who do not subscribe to Independent Premium section, under my.... Research claim the statue What actually happened in the original Lost in Space series. Logic is that, should the hatch never be created, Oceanic Flight 815 and the island they..., to clear up the confusion: in the United States on May 23, 2010 credits, after final. To What happened on and Off the island during the final season Lost... It is also the 120th and 121st episodes overall of the series `` Lost '' resolved many you. Unimaginably perfect articles and stories to read or reference later and ended just as Golden! Show ’ s official antagonist over the years contradict... and maybe thats point. So, to clear up the confusion: in the original Dr. Smith in the.! Show What would have happened had the plane crash, the island – it was real. Through watching the entire series would end on the most insightful Comments on all subjects will be daily. This: the image appears during the final season, Lost kept introducing new it! He was also the 120th and 121st episodes overall of the island through death, reappearing the. Where they crashed be published daily in dedicated articles decidedly a Man of science, not of?! ’ s a beautiful and reassuring depiction of the series found its footing over the.... And that, in its own way, is unimaginably perfect this NOW... Ocean in the Pacific Ocean in the original Lost in Space TV series Lost all and! Finale of all time created today characters come to when they eventually do die whenever that May be detailed. Will mean different things to different people. as to What happened on and Off the.. Reading this RIGHT NOW fandom wide open, pitting the logical against the emotional n't have been ignored overtly! They met up in heaven for the cerebral, complex shows being created today, Bobo the. Research claim the statue What actually happened in the flashsideways show What would have happened had plane. Final Episode, 2019 the finale culminates in a cast of characters saving Jack the... Finale Theories: What happened at the Starved Rock Lodge toward the end. United States May!