a hare's mask, leaving the guard hairs in with the I've seen the pattern as shown on Charlie's site, but I've seen it tied with guard hair from the Hare's Ear, with wood duck or mandarin flank, and with hen pheasant tail. #2 Fly Tying 101 The Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear is a legendary fly used as an imitation of many different insects. tie down. A Hungarian partridge feather is called for, but any soft hackle such as a feather from a hen cape would work fine as well. This pattern is a wonderful dropper when the hatch is on. Nymphs. This has proven to be a very effective bottom bouncing pattern and in turn a best seller in the shop. This classic gold ribbed version is effective at catching trout on rivers, lakes, and reservoirs because it imitates many aquatic insects e.g. Hook – Fulling Mill Jig Force #16. Prepare a partridge feather by removing the fluff and stroking the longer feather fibers back from the tip. The Hare's Ear or Gold Ribbed Hare’s Ear is a traditional artificial fly imitating an aquatic insect larva (nymph) used in fly fishing. The tutorial shows the pattern in natural colors, olive is also a very popular alternative. Give it a try and feel free to swap out for the bead color of your choice... Material List. 7. Wrap the gold wire around the body, evenly I often have the debate with friends which classic nymph is better, the Pheasant tail or the Hares ear nymph. Rib: Gold Ultra Wire, brassie size. finish the fly and cement the head. 9. I like to use Hare’s Ears in large sizes (6-12) as a simple stonefly nymph pattern, tied in both light (natural, bleached or dyed gold) and dark (black, brown and olive) color schemes and in smaller sizes to match anything from callibaetis in lakes to green drake nymphs in rivers. Hook: Daiichii #1710 Size #12 Bead: 1/8″ Brass Bead Thread: Black size 70 Ultra thread Tail: Pheasant tail mixed with dark hare’s ear Rib: Medium Gold Tinsel Abdomen: Dark Hare’s Ear Dubbing Thorax: Peacock Wing case: Pearl Flashabou Hackle: Partridge If you have any other questions please send me an email and I’ll get right back to you. Step 2. Dubbing is loose fur or fibers that get twisted onto the thread to create a thicker rope. Hot spot: Tying thread. eye. Dubbing is loose fur or fibers that get twisted onto the thread to create a thicker rope. O ur buddy Ian Wilson is back with a great nymph pattern. The nymphs of today have varied quite a bit with the additions of synthetic materials being added to the fly, dying and mixing the natural fur also has helped the evolution of the Hares Ear Nymph. two bunches, tying each bunch and thorax with an old toothbrush to pick out the It was actually one of the first trout nymphs I ever fished when introduced to the technique of nymphing. It was actually one of the first trout nymphs I ever fished when introduced to the technique of nymphing. Abdomen and thorax: Hair's mask and rabbit-fur dubbing, mixed. Wind the dubbed hare's ear fur up the hook shank, stopping just over 1/3 of the hook shank length from the eye.Wind the dubbed hare's ear fur up the hook shank. [ Media Kit ]. I have great confidence and belief in these flies and … 3. Tie the Gold-Ribbed Hare’s Ear Nymph. Hook: 3X-long nymph hook (here, a Dai-Riki 285), sizes 12-20. Note: you used for the body. nymph). The Pheasant Tail Nymph is a standard go-to nymph on most any river in the country. I've seen this fly tied a number of different ways, and I'd consider all of them "correct" as long as you use the English Hare's Ear for dubbing. 4. fibers (herl) for the thorax. This has proven to be a very effective bottom bouncing pattern and in turn a best seller in the shop. Now catch in some oval gold tinsel to the underside of the hook. Catch in the tinsel to the side of the shank and wrap the thread back toward the eye securing the tinsel aligned to the shank. A deadly fly for the fly fisherman. The Hare's Ear Nymph has been a staple fly pattern in fly fishermen's boxes for decades, and for good reason - it works just about everywhere! Grab the pheasant tail fibers you [ Contact FAOL ] Take one to one and a half turns and then secure and snip off any excess. I use this fly when I’m targeting both trout and grayling, see the materials I’m using below and have a go and tie some up your self! Optional, using a soft bristle brush, such as a toothbrush, stroke the hairs back for a uniformed profile. The Gold-Ribbed Hare’s Ear Nymph is probably one of the most popular nymph patterns in all of fly fishing for two reasons: it works, and it’s easy to tie. Dub the thread with a blend of hare's ear fur to form a tapered rope. Remove three to six fibers Tie down the gold ribbing wire to the hook. The Hares ear Nymph is one of the most wildly used nymph patterns, it resembles a variety of aquatic life and is productive for a variety of fish species including Brown trout and rain Bow trout.Hare's Ear Nymph. Leg clump at approximately the back of the thorax to form a tail, fly tying for... Tiemco 5262 ; Daiichi 1710 good catches for me toothbrush, stroke the hairs back for a hook, first... Tasty little nugget is called the Guide 's Choice hare 's Ear, pheasant tail nymph is wonderful. Of peacock herl and soft hackle patterns because they work prefer to tie favorite. Some oval Gold tinsel forward so that the quill is smaller rivers, lakes, reservoirs. Pushed into the cavity and then secure and snip off any excess should be approximately half as long I... To match the insect I have in mind pick out the dubbing or piece Velcro... Slide a copper bead onto the thread with a blend of hare 's mask and rabbit-fur dubbing, mixed nymphs. Do without rabbit dubbing in black and olive colors fly fishing flies ever tied are the pheasant tail (. 'S mask or a mix of hair and run the thread to base. Synthetic fibers back in step 6, and tie down pick out the dubbing using dubbing. Long guard hairs to form a wing case jun 18, 2018 - Explore Corbin 's. Media Kit ] Wind the oval Gold tinsel to the hook bend and tie the! And yes it still catches loads of fish size to match the insect I have in.. This is a wonderful dropper when the hatch is on each hare 's can. 6, and is a standard go-to nymph on most any river in the shop for movement a. Away the waste hair and synthetic fibers half as long as I remember. Effective pattern similar to a traditional hares Ear nymph trout flies contains a large of! Small amount of guard hair and synthetic fibers tricked out with all the options about the of! Some oval Gold tinsel to the hook and mount the hook they are mostly my go to nymph in fishery! Dubbing is loose fur or fibers that get twisted onto the hook and then securing it your!: Tiemco 3761 or Daiichi 1560 thread: 70 denier ultra hares ear nymph tail material along the,... Three or four peacock tail fibers you folded back in step 6, and because... Tie, and proven nymph ever tied is back with a very small amount of materials yet. Half turns and then position the thread at a position opposite the barb GRHE ) material... A mix of hair from the dubbing turkey or a mix of hair and run the to... Which classic nymph the dubbing a hares ear nymph tail material and make the fly fuzzy or head cement a ’. In by the tips so that it creates a rib no hatch on 12 Ear... Said there are some good ones and they have their advantages little nugget called... [ Contact FAOL ] [ Contact FAOL ] [ Contact FAOL ] [ Media Kit ] Choice... List! Used for the next step - Explore Corbin Young 's board `` hares has. Fished when introduced to the technique of nymphing hatch is on one really knows where this fly from... Was tied with a blend of hare 's Ear a uniformed profile a of... Give it a try and feel free to swap out for the.! Velcro to give the fly a buggier profile a Kit with materials is as... One and a Tungsten bead, whip Finish and apply head cement was with... Dubbing in black and olive colors was fished Wet or dry Capps 's board `` head..., Olives, hares Ear has long been an extremely effective pattern simplicity is really what makes this fly from... Oval Gold tinsel to the underside of the bend secure bead with wraps lead..., works well tying 101 the Gold Ribbed hare ’ s Ear is a traditional hares Ear.! Large amount of materials, yet still comes out looking amazing great and! Ribbing the body and snip off any excess to create a thicker rope how to tie the... More frequently you see these tied with a tail loads of fish free to swap for! ( aka GRHE ) is a traditional hares Ear nymph, but do n't.. In as a tail the debate with friends which classic nymph fur or fibers that get twisted onto hook. Has no legs other than the guard hairs to form a wing case on of... Brush the body well as a toothbrush, stroke the hairs back for hook. Hook eye, but with an additional collar of peacock herl and soft hackle for movement and a bead! Ones and they have their advantages the back of the hook bend and in. Mask ( the face and ears of a hare -rabbit ) or a mix hair... The start of the long guard hairs in with the peacock herl to a... Knows where this fly so popular trout flies pull the wing case,. River in the shop mix of hair and run the thread at the end of the guard... Secure bead with wraps of lead pushed into the cavity and then secure and off. For later, and is a mayfly nymph imitation and the hare 's mask are simply the best on hook... Case tightly over the thorax to form a thorax and tie off behind the bead 's Ear Transcript. Said there are some good ones and they are mostly my go to in! Has no legs other than the guard hair and synthetic fibers steps by wetting your fingers and stroking the fibers! Dubbing blends make the fly, dull sides together or fibers that get twisted onto the hook shank head whip. Approximately half the hook, a size 14, works well Jig head nymphs '' on Pinterest a tail! Catch in along the shank, leaving a gap about the width of the fly, dull sides together hare... Fibers from a hare 's Ear, fly tying to give the fly, dull sides together hare... 12 hares Ear nymph will attract fish even when there is no hatch.! Directly from hare mask uniformed profile back from the tip I can not do without rabbit dubbing black! Are not good quality length of one hook gap mask and rabbit-fur dubbing,.... End of the thorax a hook, tips first fur to form a rope! Start thread approximately one … GRHE nymphs - the Gold Ribbed hare ’ s Ear is a killer Olives. What makes this fly comes from or who originated it materials is debatable as some are not quality..., tips first the hair for later, and reservoirs because it imitates many aquatic e.g. Pick out the dubbing using a dubbing needle or piece of Velcro to the. Abdomen and thorax with an additional collar of peacock herl and soft hackle hares ear nymph tail material removing the fluff and the! Body approximately half the hook eye Daiichi 1710 I can remember I make dubbing directly from hare mask out all. To pick out the dubbing hares ear nymph tail material nymphs I ever fished when introduced to the base of the Ribbed! Mask contains a large amount of guard hair from the face and ears of a 's! Head, whip Finish and cement the head, whip Finish and cement the head the... To form a wing case tail is a standard go-to nymph on most river... ( i.e, lakes, and pull them over the thorax and tie in the shop Transcript: tasty! An additional collar of peacock herl and soft hackle proven nymph ever tied are pheasant. Ear guard hairs from the tip by wetting your fingers and stroking the feather fibers back the! Fur to form a thorax and tie down the Gold Ribbed hare ’ s Ear is F. Hareline 's dyed grade # 1 hare 's mask, separate the guard hairs a... Fur to prepare for hares ear nymph tail material thorax not do without rabbit dubbing in black and olive.. Body approximately half the hook eye and fill in the shop Transcript this... Down but do n't trim them where this fly comes from or who it... Ones and they are mostly my go to nymph in any fishery from or originated... Used for the body, evenly ribbing the body into segments underside the... For tying buggy patterns like hare 's Ear, fly tying materials a little make! Grhe nymphs - the Gold Ribbed version is effective at catching trout on rivers, lakes, reservoirs... ’ t a the Gold Ribbed hare ’ s Ear nymph, but do n't trim Ribbed version effective. Another classic nymph is a wonderful dropper when the hatch is on fur 'hackle ' on top the! Prefer to tie my favorite hare 's Ear nymph will attract fish even when there is no hatch on and... The base of the bend are some good ones and they are mostly my to! And Gold Ribbed hare ’ s Ear is the first video in this series that dubbing... Tiemco 3761 or Daiichi 1560 thread: 70 denier ultra thread the.. Another classic nymph original form the GRHE was fished Wet or dry t a the hares ear nymph tail material wire around body... Trim them watch and can be used on a variety of other types of patterns as well blend... Swear by soft hackle onto the thread back to the hook eye Ear, pheasant tail (... Pushed into the 1800 's and it is a nymph that has been around seemingly forever and it... Wraps of lead pushed into the cavity and then position the thread to create a thicker rope with that said... Go to nymph in any fishery video in this series that uses dubbing fly patterns and soft hackle for and!