The Electric Blue Johanni Melanochromis johannii (previously Pseudotropheus johannii) is a real beauty that offers pizzazz to the African cichlid aquarium. Central and South American Cichlids. I have a nice soft sandy substrate. This cichlid has some salt tolerance so can be kept in slightly brackish water conditions. Find Electric Blue & Electric Yellow Cichlid fry for sale at p... Related Products. If that does not cure the Ich, then the fish needs to be treated with copper (remove any water conditioners). The coloring of both the male and female is very appealing, and they almost look like two separate species. We Have A Great Selection Of Tropical Fish & Live Plants VISIT OUR NEW LOCATION 705 349 0080 FB-Extreme Terrariums Favourite. Its species term pulcher means "beautiful", and true to its name it is a beautiful medium sized fish cichlid. See the description of how cichlids breed in Breeding Freshwater Fish. Maximum Size : … Iv had them in there for a year and a half. What is the opinion on this? Powered by Invision Community, Adding Africans In With My Electric Blue Acara's, I like the natural look, and love planted tanks. The male of the M. johannii and both sexes of the Maingano have dark blue to black horizontal bands that runs across the back, but on the M. johannii they are often broken up with spots of light blue. Freshwater fish compatibility chart and characteristics of different types of fish. What To Feed The Blue Acara. Habitat: Captive-bred colour morph. Iv had them in there for a year and a half. Guide to fish care with a simple look at aquarium filtration, how to clean a fish tank, and a fish tank maintenance Schedule. Mature females may be heavier bodied. I can send to any country, all legal documents paper ready to run. $30.00 Electric blue hap ahli Kitchener / Waterloo 06/01/2021. They do fine in either freshwater or brackish freshwater but need good water movement along with very strong and efficient filtration. African Cichlids >> Electric Blue Ahli - African Cichlid for sale Click To Enlarge. Planted Aquarium. My drift woods been in the tank for over a year and it does not discolour my water and my P.H has never fluctuated. Blue acara can be seen both in flowing and impounded waters, where it feeds on insects, spineless species, different juveniles. Several copper based fish medications are available for Ich. Remarks: The Electric Blue Acara may be a hybrid of several fish, used to produce the electric blue shine, but they could have been a product of selective breeding as well.Even from a young age, they show a bright blue shine over their scales with an orange trim on the dorsal fin. Introduced to Australia and Indonesia.   Your link has been automatically embedded. Copyright © [Animal-World] 1998-2020. They are alone right now but I have had bolivian rams in there and rainbows and the acars have never bothered any one. Comments: This is a new and still rare aquarium fish with a bright metallic sheen. Aquarium Cycling Guide: starting up a new aquarium the right way. Heaps of African juvies available - Red Empress - Dragon Bloods - Eureka Red peacocks - sunshine peacocks - Blue peacocks - OB peacocks - Iceberg electric … For sale are Male Electric Blue Ahli, an african cichlid from Lake Malawi. This name aptly describes the rocky environment these fish live in as opposed to being open water swimmers like the Utaka cichlids and other "haps". Glen S. Axelrod, Brian M. Scott, Neal Pronek. Due to similarity in coloration, males can be mistaken for their close relative the Maingano Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. I have a beautiful male 3 inch electric blue … I have a 55 gallon set up right now with two electric blue acara. A copper test also can be used to keep the proper levels. Size is... $14.99. Cichlids are known for their aggressive behavior, but despite being a member of the group, the electric blue acara is never seen to exhibit a high degree of hostility. Electric Blue Acara. Fish information on the Lake Malawi Cichlids known as the "Haps", Haplochromis group habitats and cichlids tanks for free-swimming types of cichlids, including the Utaka. My PH is 7.8 out of the tap, lots of drift wood caves and hides. Males of the species have very elongated dorsal and anal fins. Provide lots of passageways and caves formed with piles of rocks. The name Mbuna comes from the Tonga people of Malawi and means "rockfish" or "rock-dwelling". The female and juveniles are a golden-orange coloring with the female having an indistinct dark horizontal band that runs the length of the body, starting in an area behind the eyes. The Acara Cichlid has an oval body and a very broad forehead that narrows towards its back. This keeps the water quality higher for a longer period of time. Electric Blue Cichlid – Male & Female. As we’ve mentioned earlier, Electric Blue Acara are the exception to the rule when it comes to cichlid aggression. When you try to breed them, increase the temperatures slightly and make sure the acidity levels are neutral. Contact me via email if interested in aquarium species ...alimohsin@asia.com. L. similis is actually what I was thinking about last night when I wrote this post. Feeds from both rocky and sand substrate as well as on suspended matter in the water column They feed from both the rocks and sandy substrate as well as foods in the water column.   Pasted as rich text. However, if you're doing large regular WCs (I do 30-50% every 4-7 days), your tank water will stay pretty close to what comes out of the tap, which is pretty good for African cichlids. Overall they are a hardy, colorful, moderately sized, long lived and full of personality community Cichlid species. SKU: 1226 Category: Catfish / Plecos / Other. It is a hybrid that is bred in Singapore by crossing cichlids that live in America. They are fairly peaceful fish and can be kept with similarly sized South American cichlids, such as … When obtaining either of these fish, it is best to know the scientific name as well as the common name to make sure you get the species you want. As with most fish they are susceptible to typical fish ailments, especially if water is stale and of poor quality and oxygenation. Though still not a community tank specimen with fish other than cichlids, they are some of the least aggressive of the Melanochromis species. Electric Blue & Yellow Cichlids For Sale. These are good community fish but will eat very small species such as fancy shrimp. Alberta Aquatica Piranha Fish Species, description, information, habitat, and more! Tho they're quite a bit smaller than your Acara, they are quite aggressive and could overpower their larger tankmates.. You could also go with some of the open-water spp. Electric Blue Acara Cichlid The Acara is generally known to be peaceful for a cichlid. As long as you have plenty of hiding places, the young will have an easier time surviving until they are too big to eat. "Loose" Aufwuchs can contain insect larvae, nymphs, crustaceans, snails, mites and zooplankton. The male also has egg spot patterning on his anal fin. This mid band periodically seems to "leak" into the area above and below, almost causing a checkered pattern. A food that really rocks (or grows on it)", Melanochromis johannii (Eccles, 1973) Bluegray mbuna, View (5) Animal Stories on Electric Blue Johannii, View (1) Buy/Sell requests on Electric Blue Johannii. Other common names it is known by include Johanni Cichlid, Blue Johanni, Bluegray Mbuna, and Blue Mbuna. But now Metallic Blue Acaras live in aquariums all over the world.. The aquarists must be willing to do frequent water changes and provide appropriate tank mates. You could probably get away with some smaller Tangs. Their natural habitat has  sand. They are susceptible to typical fish ailments, especially if water is stale and of poor quality and oxygenation. It would be better to pick one group and go with them. In their natural environment, the fish are predatory, eating crustaceans, insects, and worms. A good, balanced captive diet should contain fresh red earthworms, bloodworms, and tubifex, supplemented with frozen foods, including bloodworms … Fish information on the Mbuna Cichlids, habitats, and cichlids tanks for these rock-dwelling types of cichlids. New Beautiful Fish Arriving Weekly We Have Just Received A Huge Selection. Origin: Metallic Blue Acaras are hybrids of the Blue Acara and Electric Blue Ram, which are both Neotropical Cichlids from northern South America. So what’s the big deal? The coloring of both the male and female is very appealing, and they almost look like two separate species. Species: Andinoacara sp. Malawi bloat is a typical disease for the Johanni Cichlid, especially if their mostly herbivorous dietary needs are not met with quality foods. The Blue Acara Aequidens pulcher has been a cichlid of choice for many years for the South American cichlid aquarium. bes 480.243-7351 bes, Photo © Animal-World: Courtesy Greg Rothschild, Author: Carrie McBirney, Clarice Brough CFS, Freshwater Aquarium Setup and Maintenance, Online Dictionary of Aquatic Science Terms, Dr. Do not put with other Melanochromis as they will attack and/or interbreed, which is not suggested. However it not suited to a full brackish water tank. I'm setting up a new 125 gallon I wanted to try South American Cichlids the Electric Blue. × I have a nice soft sandy … Electric Blue Acara Cichlid. Knowing the signs and catching and treating them early makes a huge difference. Andinoacara pulcher. Unit conversion calculator for aquariums: How many gallons are in your aquarium, how many drops in a teaspoon, whats the difference between a US gallon and a UK gallon, not to mention liters? Setting up a Saltwater Aquarium. your own Pins on Pinterest When acquiring this fish, with all the different hybrids that have formed in captivity, there is no way to tell exactly what you are getting unless it is from a reputable dealer. The Johanni Cichlid is a semi-aggressove cichlid but is not considered to be a community fish. The Electric Blue Cichlid, or as some older aquarists might refer to as an Electric Blue Hap, is one of the most stunning African cichlids available in the trade and very common in cichlid setups. The females lay 10 to 60 eggs and then immediately take them into their mouths before they are fertilized. where can I get them Dovii? Lots of rockwork providing plenty of hiding places is needed for success. Blue Acara Andinoacara pulcher. Other African Cichlids. Overview . They have not changed in size for about six months and they are about 4 inches. Other interests include movies, skiing and spending time with my wife, kids and friends. Regards, Looking for Aba Aba any size willing to pay a reasonable fee for one or two, I am very familiar with these guys and have the tank space, The scales of the Blue Acara have a blue-green iridescent sheen giving the fish a blush tinge. Saved from i44.photobucket.com. I have a few tanks all African Cichlids mostly Peacocks with a few Mbuna (Electric Yellow). Aequidens pulcher was first described in 1858. are prone to skin flukes and other parasitic infestations (protozoa, worms, etc. It is easy to see why it is important to watch tank parameters with all Lake Malawi fish. Some open space is appreciated as well. The fish inhabits in Central and South America: Columbia, Venezuela, Trinidad. Discover (and save!) There is a dark blue to black edging on all the fins which is "tipped" in a light blue. The female and juveniles are a bright yellow-orange. … If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account. Salt is sometimes used as a buffering agent to increase the water's carbonate hardness. The best theory we have is that the electric blue acara is a cross between a blue acara and an electric blue ram. In 14 to 21 days at about 82° F, the eggs are developed. This feature is shared by saltwater damselfish and cichlids are thought to be closely related. Fish information on Peacock Cichlids, Aulonocara types of cichlids from Lake Malawi, their habitats and keeping African cichlids tanks. Arranging the rocks in a manner to make "territories" will help ease aggression. Fish information and habitats for large Cichlid aquariums, types of cichlids like the Parrot Cichlid, Firemouth cichlid, Green Terror, Oscar, Texas Cichlid and more. But the smaller shell dwellers (L. similis - I know where you can get some - L. brevis, L. mulitfaciatus) could work out, but stay away from bigger guys like L. ocellatus or larger. Cichlids have spiny rays in the back parts of the anal, dorsal, pectoral, and pelvic fins to help discourage predators. It is the Electric Blue Hap Sciaenochromis fryeriw which is a much different type of cichlid. Cichlids ; Blue Acara; Blue Acara. The sides of the Acara Cichlid have six horizontal black bars with a black blotch around the fifth bar. These two fish are totally different. The fish is indigenous to the West Indies, but it is believed to have been seen … It is a moderately aggressive cichlid, but not a community tank specimen that can be kept with fish other than cichlids. Crushed coral or aragonite sands do tend to dissolves easier than salts.   Your previous content has been restored. It is a Hap and so one of the more peaceful open water swimmers. I'd stay away from the rock-dwellers (Neolamprologus, Julidochroms) and Altolamprologus spp. If more than one is kept, they will form pairs. The streams that flow into Lake Malawi have a high mineral content. Blue acaras have been bred successfully in captivity, and you’ll be able to do so as well. I am pretty sure they are full grown. Piranhas, one of the most efficient predators with razor sharp teeth and a ferocious nature. Fish Information for African Cichlids - Lake Malawi, Lake Tanganyika, Lake Victoria, West African Cichlids, and Dwarf Cichlids including cichlid care, cichlid breeding, and fish diseases. Although they are a little mellower than other Melanochromis species they are aggressive toward similar looking males of a different species. For information about freshwater fish diseases and illnesses, see Aquarium Fish Diseases and Treatments. Blue Acara Cichlid Breeding. These fish have a solid reflective cobalt blue body and the same behavior as the wild blue acara. I am from Perú, If there is someone interested on buy them, please send me a email to: robindehs@ aol.com We can reach a good low price. I live in … They are sometimes found in fish stores, and they may be special ordered if you are willing to wait for them if they are out of season. May 20, 2016 in African Cichlids. The males are a lighter blue with a dark blue to black horizontal band that runs across the back, and often broken up with spots of light blue. Gorgeous fish, nice electric blue with size. This product is currently out of stock and unavailable. To sense "smells" in the water, they suck water in and expel the water right back out after being "sampled" for a short or longer time, depending on how much the cichlid needs to "smell" the water. Electric Blue Johannii young start to show their colors within a few weeks and are ready to breed at 1.5". Behavior & Temperament. Common Name(s) : Electric Blue, Electric Blue Hap. Upload or insert images from URL. The Electric Blue Acara Cichlid is generally peaceful even with its own kind. Basics on breeding some of the more commonly bred tropical fish. The Electric Blue Acara (Andinoacara pulcher) is a freshwater fish originating in Central and South America’s slow-flowing rivers and lakes. I will have to think about it! Copper use must be kept within the proper levels, so be sure to follow the manufacturers suggestions. The question is can I have the Electric Blue with Peacocks. The Electric Blue Johanni cichlids are sometimes found online and are moderately priced, but prices vary depending on whether they are male, female, or juvenile. The male is light blue with dark blue to black horizontal bands. A much larger tank is needed for a mixed African cichlid tank. Lake Malawi Cichlids known as Zebra Cichlids. They inhabit areas around Masinje Rocks and Cape Ngombo. Add to wishlist. They are generally peaceful fish but, as with all cichlids, … Jun 10, 2018 - Electric Blue Acara Cichlid The electric blue acara was first bred in Asia and entered the trade about 2008. You can post now and register later. Electric Blue Acara may bully or even eat very small fish like Neon Tetra, but can be kept with most all types of community fish larger than 2 inches (5 cm) in length. Electric Blue Acara are actually peaceful cichlids for their size and can be housed in a community tank environment with other species of the same size. Fish information on habitats and keeping African cichlid tanks for Lake Victoria Cichlids, Mbipi rock-dwelling cichlids, East and West African Cichlids, and African Dwarf Cichlids. like Cyprichromis or Paracyprichromis spp. cool Thanks for all the advise. The male has a brilliant blue body with darker blue striping, but the dark colors "bleed" onto the lighter blue creating a checkerboard effect. each one. In the aquarium it will accept frozen or live brine shrimp, mysis, high quality flake, pellets, spirulina, and other preparations for omnivore cichlids.