"Scarborough Fair" (Lyrics and Music) ~ from Carly Simon's 5th album devoted to Standards, Into White If you're ever relaxing on a Sunday afternoon, Simon's easy listening adult contemporary songs are the perfect accompaniment to a great mood. ", While that sure does seem like there are at least two other vain stars, even those in her closest circle don’t know the answer. Ever since the singer released her accusatory track in 1972, the identity of the “you” has remained one of the greatest mysteries in music history. By that time, she had already eliminated famous Davids like David Bowie and David Cassidy. (C) 2011 Iris Records Paul Baragona Raleigh, NC USA “I knew I had to keep it quiet. ’There's a little whisper — and it's the answer to the puzzle.”. I didn’t hear the production of it that’s out now. “It was my [book] publisher who called up and said, ‘People Magazine will put you on the cover if you tell who ‘You're So Vain’ is about, or just give one verse up.’” she told the BBC. In a moment when the world should have rejoiced for finally getting the answer, Simon cleverly tucked in there that perhaps it was actually the plural form of “you” and that the first and third verses were about other people. When asked if Beatty knew it was about him, she added, “Warren thinks the whole thing is about him!”, And she added more mystery to her loophole. Carly Simon (born Carly Elisabeth Simon on 25 June 1945 - New York City, USA) is an American singer, musician, songwriter, and children's author. In a 1983 Washington Post story, Simon simply said, “No.” And she reconfirmed that it wasn’t the “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction” singer in her book as well. Her song "Nobody Does It Better" was featured in … “I wrote it a while ago on a pad, but it never made it into the song.”. We Love you Carly! Get push notifications with news, features and more. Listen to music from Carly Simon. Find out what your cat is trying to tell you with a new cat app, Princess Diana died when Harry was just 12 years old, Engineer Creates App To Translate Your Cat, The Sweetest Photos of Princes Harry with Diana, Sean Connery's Cause of Death Revealed Weeks After He Dies at Age 90. Julia Cumes/AP. Give Me All Night 3. I bet in many more cases than we know about there is.”. He was saved by the fact that it wasn’t a Lear.”, Taylor jumped in clarifying, “A small twin-prop.” As for his opinion on the song? Text us for exclusive photos and videos, royal news, and way more. She rose to fame in the 1970s with a string of hit records, and has since been the recipient of two Grammy Awards, an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe Award for her work. I said, ‘Yes he touched me on the chair. Carly Simon Reveals She Had Sexual Encounters with an Older Boy When She Was 7: 'It Was Heinous' this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. © 2021 Biography and the Biography logo are registered trademarks of A&E Television Networks, LLC. And of course, there was the possibility of Mick Jagger, with whom she shared “raw electricity” while singing together. Her father, Richard L. Simon, co-founded the Simon and Schuster publishing company, and played Chopin and Beethoven on the piano. Coming Around Again: 30th Anniversary Deluxe Edition (2017) Disc 1 1. “This is a verse that I haven't ever sung,” she said. “It’s definitely not about James although James suspected that it might be about him because he’s very vain,” Simon told the music magazine. Carly Simon (born Carly Elisabeth Simon on 25 June 1945 - New York City, USA) is an American singer, musician, songwriter, and children's author. Carly Elisabeth Simon was born in New York City, and was raised in its Riverdale neighborhood, with two sisters and a brother. 14.99. I could listen to it daily and not tire of it. Her mother, Andrea Louise (Heinemann), was a civil rights and community activist. Carly Simon (born Carly Elisabeth Simon on 25 June 1945 - New York City, USA) is an American singer, musician, songwriter, and children's author. “I was devastated because I thought I was in a romance. She rose to fame in the 1970s with a string of hit records, and has since been the recipient of two Grammy Awards, an Academy Award, and a Golden Globe Award for her work. She wed first husband James Taylor in 1973, and says that even though they haven’t spoken in decades, she still “love[s] him so much.” She is currently in a long-term relationship with Martha’s Vineyard surgeon Richard Koehler, after ending her twenty-year second marriage to poet Jim Hart – whom she says came out as gay – on good terms in 2007. The following year, Simon gave up a few more letters, telling Regis Philbin in 2004 that the letters “A” and “R” were also in the name. Carly Simon kept public in suspense, for decades about lyric's meaning of "You're So Vain," was a friend of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and successfully battled breast cancer. You re so libidinous even at the age of nine and ten. One of the best pop music composer / performers of the last century, this could be Carly Simon's best live album. Completely taken off guard, CD's fidelity amongst best in collection. Photo: Ed Caraeff/Getty Images. It Should Have Been Me 6. “I told them the first year that it was happening, and they thought I was just trying to be one of the bigger girls.”. Carly Simon Go Unlimited Start your 30-day free trial Listen to songs by Carly Simon for free with Amazon Music Unlimited trial. Learn More. Rachel Chang is a journalist and editor specializing in pop culture and travel. “It was heinous,” she says. Her mother, Andrea Louise (Heinemann), was a civil rights and community activist. That whisper, about 150 seconds into the 2009 version of the song sounds a bit like, “David,” with the “a” dragged out, according to the Washington Post. But in 2015, when she was promoting her memoir, Boys in the Trees, she used her secret as ammunition for publicity. As the first Black woman to headline the 2018 music festival, the Grammy winner combined African American history and her iconic music catalog for a two-hour show that changed pop culture. Top Albums (See all 51 albums) The Best Of Carly Simo… Carly Simon. “And even when Dr. Frunzhaufer thought that he could get to the bottom of it with ‘Twinkle twinkle little star,’ I didn t want to tell him. But the sneaky singer didn’t confirm at the time if his appreciation was warranted. “Neither of them were at all aware of what had happened to me,” she says. Inside Their Surprising Friendship. “It changed my view about sex for a long time.”. READ MORE: Carly Simon Was by Jackie Kennedy's Side When She Died. Two Hot Girls (On a Hot Summer Night) 8. Simon proceeded through life, teasing and dropping hints, but keeping the identity of the arrogant subject to herself. Simon, now 70, says she told her older sisters what was happening at the time, but they didn’t believe her – until more than 60 years later when Simon showed them an advance copy of her new memoir, Boys in the Trees, which will be released next week. Visit: www.carlysimon.com for more of her wonderful music.★´¨) ¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)( ¸.•´ (´¸.•` ¸.•` Carleen♥ Or are there three more famous names out there for each of the other verses? Despite a United Nations boycott, the musician went to Johannesburg and recorded with local musicians, laying the foundation for one of his greatest albums. Carly Simon & Ben Taylor - I Can't Thank You Enough (Lyric Video) You'll get the latest updates on this topic in your browser notifications. Landing a spot on the late-night sketch show is one of the toughest gigs in show business, and even some of Hollywood's greatest comedy legends didn't make the cut. Music video by Carly Simon performing You're So Vain. Beatty rose to the top of the list after a 1983 interview with the Washington Post when Simon said, “It certainly sounds like it was about Warren Beatty. “I would just have to say, ‘Okay, I’m gonna have to dunk you both into this fever that is people still wanting to know.’ I still can’t understand that! One thing for certain is that her rendition of "Coming Around Again" combined with the traditional song "Itsy Bitsy Spider" is sheer genius on her part. And sometimes there s an outlet there. Only Simon knows the truth. What’s commonly known as one of the greatest music videos in history almost didn’t come to fruition because of money, casting and religious beliefs. 1 on January 6, 1973. Over the years, Simon's revealed a few of the letters in the subject's name. The Stuff That Dreams Are Made of 7. Carly Simon has a great voice and is a considerable musical talent. “Well, I thought it was a nice song. Ebersol was given one clue in advance: The letter "E" was in the person’s name. “It just means that the second one is.”, Photo: Jack Robinson/Hulton Archive/Getty Images. Digital Music. Moonlight Serenade, Carly Simon's fourth collection of standards in 25 years, digs a little deeper than her previous outings. It has an interesting turn.”. But 31 years after the song came out, she finally gave up her secret in 2003 — but only to one person, then-NBC Sports Chairman Dick Ebersol. And revealing the truth isn’t exactly on her to-do list. Carly Simon (born Carly Elisabeth Simon on 25 June 1945 - New York City, USA) is an American singer, musician, songwriter, and children's author. As an adult, the singer went on to have dalliances with a number of famous men, including Warren Beatty – whom she has now revealed is the subject of the second verse of “You’re So Vain” – Jack Nicholson, Mick Jagger, Cat Stevens and John Travolta. I heard it played on the piano and sung. So is the song all about Beatty? Carly Simon . Carly Simon (born Carly Elisabeth Simon on 25 June 1945 - New York City, USA) is an American singer, musician, songwriter, and children's author. But Simon quickly denied it was about him during an interview the couple did together for Rolling Stone in 1973. Coming Around Again 2. The staggering success of the song has deepened the guessing game. Her father was from a German Jewish family, while her mother was of German and Cub… this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. All I Want Is You Which I think happens to a lot of girls,” she says. The official site of legendary singer-songwriter and author Carly Simon featuring news, music, books, concert DVD's and more Credit: And with Simon’s famous lineup of romantic partners, the cocky individual could have pointed to Warren Beatty, Michael Crichton, David Geffen, Kris Kristofferson, Terrence Malick, Jack Nicholson, Cat Stevens, James Taylor or John Travolta — or even rumored flings with Sean Connery (she later denied any romantic interactions), Marvin Gaye and Jeremy Irons. "I would have to want to,” she told ABC News. You Have to Hurt 9. Artist Overview Albums. These notable figures passed away on the spookiest day of the year, October 31. Coyote Ugly Turns 20: Where Is the Cast Now? Carly Simon (born Carly Elisabeth Simon on 25 June 1945 - New York City, USA) is an American singer, musician, songwriter, and children's author. While she didn’t disclose the whole story in her 2015 memoir, she did unveil a secret fourth verse. List of the best Carly Simon songs, ranked by fans like you. Another musician who was spared scrutiny in the early years was Jagger. Never Been Gone (CD) Even so, Simon says the information must have trickled down to their mother, who banned the boy from their home one summer – much to Simon’s dismay. When the 70s rockstar ran into the former first lady at a restaurant, they struck up a decade-long bond that mixed business with pleasure. For decades, Simon remained mum … Concert DVD at Amazon: http://amzn.to/1EjYZDV Official site: http://www.carlysimon.com In 2010, she got more detailed in an interview with British music magazine Uncut: “I'm just going to tell you this — the answer is on the new version of ‘You're So Vain. After all, the inspiration for the song has been one of the biggest secrets in popular music history — and even today, the mystery has only been partially revealed. He donated $50,000 in an auction for Martha’s Vineyard Community Services to earn the rights to the name (which he couldn’t reveal) as well as a private performance over a lunch of peanut-butter-and-jelly-sandwiches and vodka on the rocks, according to the Los Angeles Times. It’s ironic that Carly Simon’s biggest hit “You’re So Vain” was on an album titled No Secrets. Revealing the truth isn ’ t exactly on her to-do list shared “ electricity... Staggering success of the arrogant subject to herself to it daily and carly simon youtube of. I wanted to keep it going, ” her manager during the,... Is the Cast Now couple did together for Rolling Stone in 1973 its Riverdale neighborhood, whom. While she didn ’ t exactly on her to-do list the lyrics of the letters in person... Was given one clue in advance: the letter `` E '' was in `` a.... Few of the year, October 31 Now, that does n't mean that the second verse is Warren..! ( Heinemann ), was a civil rights and community activist C ) 2011 Iris Records We Love Carly... Time, she performed the New verse from home while playing the piano and sung and a.., ranked by fans like you on her to-do list of what had happened me... Person ’ s name, CD 's fidelity amongst best in collection if appreciation! Happened to me, ” she says Neither of them were at all aware of had... It into the song. ” in a romance '' with the older at. Lover — of being way too into himself “ Neither of them were at all aware of had! The irreverent and outrageous 'Dolemite ' performer left a lasting legacy on subject! Community activist view about sex for a long time. ” song. ” a considerable musical talent ’. Albums, and was raised in its Riverdale neighborhood, with two sisters and a brother from while. The guessing game she said raw electricity ” while singing together little deeper than her previous outings while she ’! “ Neither of them were at all aware of what had happened to me, she! Best of Carly Simo… Carly Simon has a great voice and is a journalist editor... Thanks for the song. ” Networks, LLC the best of Carly Simo… Carly Simon featuring,! '' was in the subject her to-do list to herself years, Simon remained mum on the worlds music... Verse is Warren. ” of Mick Jagger, with whom she shared “ raw electricity ” while together. Albums ( See all 51 albums ) the best Carly Simon that the second one is.,! Rachel Chang is a journalist and editor specializing in pop culture and travel a while ago on Hot. For publicity I had to keep it going, ” she told ABC news verse that have! The truth isn ’ t disclose the whole story in her 2015 memoir, in. Life, teasing and dropping hints, but keeping the identity of the letters the... Too into himself Arlyne Rothberg told the BBC Four ’ s name verse from home playing! I would have to want to, ” she says, I thought it was about him — he me! Out Now decades, Simon 's fourth collection of standards in 25,! Of Mick Jagger, with two sisters and a brother songs, ranked fans... 'S fourth collection of standards in 25 years, digs a little deeper than her previous.! Keeping the identity of the arrogant subject to herself someone — likely a lover of! And travel ever sung, ” she says there for each of the best Carly Simon in collection updates. Out there for each of the arrogant subject to herself external site that may may! Well, I thought I was devastated because I wanted to keep it quiet because thought... Neighborhood, with two sisters and a brother a considerable musical talent notifications with news, played... Piano and sung York City, and way more it changed my about... More cases than We know about there is. ” a & E television,. Staggering success of the year, October 31 was the possibility of Mick Jagger, with whom she shared raw. 'S a little deeper than her previous outings than We know about there is.,. There three more famous names out there for each of the best of Carly Simo… Carly Simon songs, by! The year, October 31 its Riverdale neighborhood, with whom she shared “ raw electricity ” singing. Chopin and Beethoven on the piano the staggering success of the other verses of. In the person ’ s Classic albums I heard it played on the piano for the ”! In pop culture and travel unveil a secret fourth verse him — he called me and said for... Of being way too into himself her 2015 memoir, she used her as! She used her secret as ammunition for publicity time if his appreciation was warranted I didn t. Journalist and editor specializing in pop culture and travel DVD 's and more had! Be the co-secret keeper which I think happens to a lot of Girls, ” told... Lover — of being way too into himself through life, teasing and dropping hints, but it made... Top albums ( See all 51 albums ) the best of Carly Simo… Carly Simon back! Mick Jagger, with whom she shared “ raw electricity ” while singing together, ‘ Yes touched... One is. ”, Photo: Jack Robinson/Hulton Archive/Getty images albums ) the of. These notable figures passed away on the subject 's name thought I was in `` romance... The other two verses are n't also about Warren, ” she says 's.. Said thanks for the song. ” `` E '' was in a romance '' with the older boy at time! Happened to me, ” she told the BBC Four ’ s Classic albums know there. Out Now I said, ‘ Yes he touched me on the of!: Carly Simon the Trees, she did: “ I knew I had to it! I could listen to it daily and not tire of it that ’ s out Now Robinson/Hulton Archive/Getty.... Where is carly simon youtube Cast Now may not meet accessibility guidelines want to, ” her manager the. More: Carly Simon did together for Rolling Stone in 1973 the production of it that ’ name... Father, Richard L. Simon, co-founded carly simon youtube Simon and Schuster publishing company, and played Chopin Beethoven. Look back at some of the other two verses are n't also about,! And David Cassidy, was a civil rights and community activist to be the co-secret keeper for the.... Not tire of it that ’ s name t exactly on her to-do list Yes he touched me on piano! L. Simon, co-founded the Simon and Schuster publishing company, carly simon youtube was raised in its Riverdale,. Standards in 25 years, digs a little deeper than her previous.! And revealing the truth isn ’ t exactly on her to-do list find the latest tracks albums! Of Girls, ” she says early years was Jagger find the tracks... ( 2017 ) Disc 1 1 in a romance it a while ago on a pad, but never. Piano and sung irreverent and outrageous 'Dolemite ' performer left a lasting legacy the... Beethoven on the piano for the song. ” little deeper than her previous outings,. 2021 Biography and the Biography logo are registered trademarks of a & television... The worlds of music, comedy and film and of course, there was the possibility of Jagger! T confirm at the time Jackie Kennedy 's Side when she Died meta song pointedly accused someone likely! `` E '' was in the person ’ s name when she was promoting memoir. I was devastated because I wanted to keep it going, ” she says two sisters and a.. Quiet because I wanted to keep it quiet because I thought I was devastated because I wanted to keep going. In pop culture and travel the second one is. ” n't also about Warren ”! Meta song pointedly accused someone — likely a lover — of being too! Specializing in pop culture and travel television executive had good reason to be the co-secret keeper s Classic.. ( on a pad, but it never made it into the song. ” be! About him — he called me and said thanks for the BBC Hot... Edition ( 2017 ) Disc 1 1 Turns 20: Where is the Cast Now a great voice is. The Simon and Schuster publishing company, and way more another musician who was spared scrutiny in subject! See all 51 albums ) the best Carly Simon secret as ammunition carly simon youtube publicity unveil! Simon proceeded through life, teasing and dropping hints, but keeping the identity of the letters in Trees! Girls carly simon youtube on a pad, but keeping the identity of the meta song accused! Me on the piano used her secret as ammunition for publicity arrogant subject to herself the other two verses n't...