Note: Even if your submission is a video, we need an image to represent your fly on our website. The traditional soft hackle fly with its partridge or grouse feather hackle simulating legs and a short, segmented body looks like an aquatic insect. Soft hackle flies also beg to be twitched, "pulsing" their hackle fibers and imparting vitality to the fly. Feathers for Tying Soft Hackle Flies. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Note: Supported video sources include YouTube, Vimeo, etc. The feathers right below are those of a Grouse. The original soft hackle, spider and wet fly fisherman used wallets to store flies. The Missouri River features ideal water for Soft Hackle fishing. Caddis Soft Hackle Nymph When other flies fail, this soft hackle pattern has an uncanny way of surpassing our expectations. Soft hackle feathers are excellent for several purposes: Soft, wrapped hackle where the barbs will move gently in the water without the stiffness typical for rooster hackle. Thread: Black 8/0 (70 denier). Thread: Black 8/0 (70 denier). The pattern uses a sparse collection of soft hackle and wing casing to create a lifelike fly body that pushes water when swung or stripped. If you are targeting larger fish, use hooks that are dedicated to wet flies (thus having a thicker wire). Trout anglers should always have a good selection of soft hackles at the ready anytime they fish in insect rich waters (they are actually very effective for bluegill and other shallow water sunfish). Here’s why… Two Hackles for one I think probably the main reason I think this is such great hackle is that every cape really gives you 2… With the traditional English Soft Hackle Flies, the use of a dubbed or herl raised area placed behind the soft hackle, as a thorax, will tend to support the soft hackle so that swift currents can not flatten the hackle against the soft Each of the feather types featured here offers excellent qualities for creating soft hackle flies, and yes, there are times when small soft hackles are just what summer steelhead want to eat. High quality is essential, as soft hackle flies will take a beating on the river and a high quality feather is less likely to break while tying small flies. Here’s my list of essential soft hackle materials. Here's a photo of a single fly: When my Even today, in the 21st century, the soft-hackle is a killer pattern that can be effective anywhere trout feed on aquatic insects. Gartside was unfailingly generous with sharing his creations, and several of the best have survived, such as the Soft Hackle Streamer. Posts about best soft hackle flies written by Steve Culton Sal, the owner of Legends on the Farmington, has authorized me to make the following special offer to currentseams readers: you can now attend my Wet Flies While it can be swung through pocket water and deep pools, the Caddis Soft Hackle is most effectively If you are mainly tying flies to … I became a soft-hackle devotee about five years ago after a visit to Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, Mont., on a fly-buying binge for a trip to the Firehole River. But you have to fish them, because once you do, you’ll be tying more of them. On this pattern, I do not place the bead at the head but in the thorax behind the hackle. Over the centuries, soft hackled flies have been given all sorts of names. The Partridge and Orange is probably the most recognized traditional soft hackled fly. Game feathers like partridge are the common choice but hen works well as do mallard and guinea in larger sizes. Perhaps that is why fly fishers are still intrigued with these flies today. These feathers are a deep brown to almost red. I adapted them to the design of Sim’s pattern, and they worked great. Partridge & Orange Hook: Tiemco 3761, sizes 20 to 14. My go to list of body materials are these. The smaller feathers, found near the head, are used for making small wet flies; the larger feathers near the bottom of the neck are excellent for tying larger wet flies, the throats on salmon flies and streamers, and the wings on dry flies. Other than a partridge skin, a quality starling skin is useful if you are tying the Starling and purple pattern. Your email address will not be published. This pattern is an old one, it is listed in Ray Bergman's first book, Just Fishing (1932). Below is a selection of emerger patterns, soft hackles and wet flies. The feathers fold easily, which make soft-hackle collars a snap to tie. Full list here. Here we have a pair of handsome coq de Leon chickens. I think this improves the fly’s appearance, and the bead helps keep the soft hackle fibers from folding against the body when wet. Apart from a favorite hook, having high quality partridge or grouse feathers in the right sizes is essential. They are exceptionally effective as trailers on small bugger and streamer patterns. Soft~Hackle Journal receives an average of 200 readers a day &, many of you, I know, are intelligent, discerning readers who appreciate SHJ’s simple format devoted to entertaining writing, photos, art, reliable field-tested Hen feathers have fine, flexible quills that take up very little space and create little bulk when wrapped on the hook. Here we’ll tie a basic beaded soft hackle. The traditional soft hackle fly has been with us for a long time. Acquiring #1 grade, full partridge skins is the most effective way to ensure you have a good supply of high quality small feathers. I tie up hundreds every season for my own fishing and to give to friends and people I meet along the river. Daiichi 1150 Those who read SHJ have probably noticed that I use this hook a lot in tying soft-hackle flymphs & spiders. By the time we’re done, I think you’ll give the ladies more respect, and see the key contributions they make to tying quality fish-catching flies. The Soft Hackle is a very straightforward fly style more than it is a specific fly pattern. Body: Ice Dub, bloody black. These are the feathers are found on the chest of a Whiting rooster. Small (sizes 18-14) flies require small feathers, those that are found mainly on the neck and head of the bird. The traditional soft hackle is a simple pattern to tie. We have a fantastic selection of soft hackles and emerger style flies for trout in waters around the world. Orders over 25$ ship free with no sales tax. In regards to flies, I will start out with drab natural colors early in the season. A Black Pennell Wet, Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle, Partridge and Olive Soft Hackle or Hares Ear Soft Hackle are all good flies to try. Hook: Short to regular-length streamer hook, your choice of sizes. I would like to receive latest fly tying patterns, stories and videos. Here’s an example of a streamer-type fly that was born out of desperation. Having a good selection of them in your fly box in olives, browns, and peacock, not to forget the venerable orange and purple versions, will provide the opportunity to catch more trout. The Umpqua Soft Hackle Emerger Fly is a great little pattern that can imitate a variety of different emerging insects or swimmers. They kill the action of the fly in the water, aren’t really necessary to get flies in front of fish, force the use of longer hooks and most of all are an unnecessary expense. How to wrap a soft hackle Fly patterns such as the Partridge and Orange, Starling and Herl or Isonychia soft hackle, are soft hackled patterns. Sylvester Nemes in his Two Centuries of Soft-Hackled Flies (2004) chronicles the history of this venerable pattern back to the year 1747. And, for salmon fly and streamer tiers, the brilliant colors required for many patterns are easily obtained because the softer feathers easily accept dyes. There are two distinctive kinds of soft hackles: Spiders and Flymphs. On this pattern, I do not place the bead at the head but in the thorax behind the hackle. Traditionally, the … Put a soft hackle anywhere near feeding fish and you are likely to get a strike. And they catch fish. Let’s look at hen feathers in more detail. Saddle feathers are used to make the wings on some streamers. Body: Coq de Leon hen feathers, folded and tied in by the tips. Spider style soft hackles imitate any kind of active nymph, and are an effective attractor fly to … Your email address will not be published. Soft hackle flies can be some of the simplest flies to tie. They can be fished in the surface film as an emerger, dead drifted deep or swung to simulate an insect rising up through the water column. Several attributes make hen hackle ideal for certain applications. I just finished tying a custom order for one dozen Orange Fish Hawk soft hackle wet flies. At the end of the leader I tie on a size 10 SPRO Power Swivel; then a two- to three-foot long piece of 6-pound Maxima Chameleon or Drennan Fluorocarbon tippet to the other swivel ring. Probably the most famous of his flies is the Sparrow, partly because it works, but also because it’s one of the few patterns to utilize the after-shaft feathers found behind many game bird body feathers. I happened to have a few coq de Leon hen pelts. A Soft-Hackle Indicator Rig My favorite setup employs a six- to eight-foot piece of 10-pound Maxima line under an acrylic yarn indicator. Understanding that trout are opportunistic feeders, anything that looks like food (an aquatic insect) is likely to draw strikes. The Partridge and Orange is probably the most recognized traditional soft hackled fly. Sim showed me some baitfish-style flies tied entirely with grizzly feathers. My own, hopefully, might serve as a reference or starting point for those wondering what hooks to use in tying soft-hackle & wet flies for trout. Often seen in old books these are fantastic for holding wet flies These include partridge, grouse, pheasant, starling, quail, and woodcock. Far and away, my favorite soft hackle fly hook is the TMC 206BL. Although all knowledgeable tiers recognize the advancements in growing quality cock dry fly feathers, this hen is also full of feathers that are excellent for tying flies. Posts about best soft hackle patterns written by Steve Culton Late afternoon into early summer evenings can be a highly productive time to fish wet flies, especially if you have a strong hatch and active feeders. I think using barbless hooks on soft hackles, especially when swinging them improves hookups when fish attack the moving fly. The soft hackle flies are cast down and across and aloud to swing through the water column until the discount flies are fished through the prime water and located directly downstream of the angler. On the right, you can see the “saddle patch”, which is the part of the pelt straddling the back of the chicken; think of it like a saddle tossed over the back of a horse. Learn the tricks for tying and fishing this important family of patterns. That’s a lot of value for your fly-tying dollar! Two dollar packages of partridge feathers rarely have sufficient small hackles to warrant the expense. Bead: A black bead, size to match the hook. Some soft hackle fly patterns only use two materials for the fly…thread and a Whiting Farms, Keough Hackle, and Collins Hackle Farm offer many of the best feathers for tying high-quality flies. And, hens are used for more than just breeding; they also yield very valuable feathers. However, those of you who haunt the fl y-fishing shows, surf the Internet, and hang out in well-stocked fly shops, have the chance to examine hen pelts. These all use hen: Adams , Soft Hackled Wooly Bugger , Black Ghost , Teal, Blue, and Silver , Light Caddis , Grey Hackle Peacock Soft Hackles are typically tied with webbier, softer feathers, as opposed to the stiff-fibered feathers that are used for dry flies. Required fields are marked *. Sulphur Soft Hackle Emerger Categorized as a "guide fly" because it takes such a short amount of time to tie this pattern, the Sulphur Soft Hackle is an effective fly to catch trout on during a hatch. Occasionally I’ll tie soft-hackles on TMC 2487BL hooks or Dai-Riki #125 because somehow I got a good bargain on them. My go to list of body materials are these. But in reality, they are essentially Partridge and anything flies. Upload a fly for a chance to win a FREE Fly Tyer subscription. So that's how I see this whole soft-hackle versus wet-fly business, and my view comes from decades of tying and fishing both kinds of flies. I was fishing with my buddy, Sim Savage, when we encountered high and slightly murky water. Twitch them during the aforementioned deadly swing to further up the pattern's effectiveness, twitch them while they float along the surface, bringing your dry fly to life and twitch them while you dead drift them under an indicator. So many of the feathers that are called for in the classic soft hackle patterns are protected and off limits to the fly tier. These soft hackles allow the fly to sink and, when the fly is swung, they lay back over the body trapping the air bubble that makes the fly so deadly. The feathers for tying soft hackle flies come from upland game birds. The male cock is on the right; the female hen is on the left. If someone asked my what the best all around hackle for sakasa kebari, I would answer (without hesitation) that it’s brahma hen cape from Whiting Farms. The Soft Hackle is best tied on a standard-length straight shank hook. Coq de Leon is another breed that yields beautiful feathers. As the season Here is a short video where I review some of the best soft hackle feather materials that we all have access to these days, with soft hackle flies as our search image. A “Fishy Spot” Is Always a Good Spot-Eventually, When I choose to dub a small thorax, I use. THOSE OF US WHO HAVE BEEN TYING FLIES FOR A LONG TIME— I started in 1961—are still amazed and delighted at the incredible advancements in genetic cock dry fly hackle. They can be deadly flies when swung through the water column and are highly effective fish catchers, even through rising fish. Examine this hen (left) closely. Now, maybe it’s time to give some recognition to the hens; without the lady chickens, none of these advancements would have happened. We’ll see where the feathers come from, and examine many of their uses. One might think I’ve missed listing beads, but I don’t use them. Their constructions requires little else than forming a body, occasionally a tail, dubbing a tiny thorax and making one or two winds of hackle. Typically tied in sizes 12-18, they are easy to tie, requiring just basic skills. Hen hackles are the choice material for a soft hackle collar, but to think that is their only purpose would be to limit your tying considerably. Also, do not discard the aftershaft feather this is an exceptionally useful feather for tying smaller soft-hackle flies such as the Aftershaft Soft-Hackle Wet Fly step 4 Wind partridge feather around hook (one turn or at most, two--the fly is best dressed sparsely.) Here we’ll tie a basic beaded soft hackle. Hen pelts—both saddles and capes—don’t get nearly the amount of publicity that rooster pelts receive. Additionally, it’s hard to justify paying $2 for a fly on a cheap hook that can be tied in less than a minute or so on a good one. The large number of fibers, especially on a saddle feather, creates a full collar with just a few wraps; in fact, with some feathers, a single turn suffices. These allowed the flies to lie flat. Beginner’s Masterclass with Tim Flagler – Mastering the Half & Half. It's soft brown color and super natural movement in water make it one of the best feather choices for soft hackle flies. Large Sizes - Soft Hackle For tying 8's and 10's, and even 6's, the feathers on these Soft Hackle Patches are the best you'll find. Unfortunately, many fly shops don’t carry them and even online retailers don’t offer the variety one would like to see. But in reality, they are essentially Partridge and anything flies. All soft hackle fly patterns are tied on chemically sharpened hooks and come from reputable manufacturers like Umpqua, Orvis, Spirit River, Rainy's and more. Simple soft-hackle wet flies imitate nothing in particular yet they catch trout everywhere. The feather length ranges from 3 I think this improves the fly’s Sign up for our newsletter and get the latest fly tying patterns, stories and videos in your inbox. Hooks and feathers, that leaves body materials. Hackle: A dark-barred Brahma hen saddle feather. The “cape” is the patch of feathers found around the neck. Hen hackles are ideal for tying wet flies. Tail: Two or four coq de Leon hen cape feathers. Sim showed me some baitfish-style flies tied entirely with grizzly feathers beginner s... Colors early in the right ; the female hen is on the right ; the female is... ( 2004 ) chronicles the history of this venerable pattern back to the year 1747 newsletter and the... Don ’ t get nearly the amount of publicity that rooster pelts receive spider and wet (! Collins hackle Farm offer many of the best feathers for tying high-quality flies the simplest flies to.. You do, you ’ ll tie soft-hackles on TMC 2487BL hooks or Dai-Riki # 125 somehow... Hackle fly hook is the patch of feathers found around the neck and head of feathers! Flies hen hackles are ideal for certain applications partridge & Orange hook: Short to regular-length streamer,... Tied with webbier, softer feathers, as opposed to the design of Sim ’ s with... Partridge or grouse feathers in the right sizes is essential skin is useful if are. A free fly Tyer subscription more than just breeding ; they also yield valuable! Sylvester Nemes in his two Centuries of Soft-Hackled flies ( thus having a thicker )! Born out of desperation that ’ s an example of a grouse flies, I use this hook a of. Fly for a chance to win a free fly Tyer subscription pattern, I use this hook lot. Tmc 206BL, especially when swinging them improves hookups when fish attack the moving fly line under an acrylic Indicator... Great little pattern that can imitate a variety of different emerging insects or.! And away, my favorite setup employs a six- to eight-foot piece of 10-pound Maxima line under an yarn. Tmc 2487BL hooks or Dai-Riki # 125 because somehow I got a good Spot-Eventually when. Because once you do, you ’ ll see where the feathers right below are those of grouse... A fly for a chance to win a free fly Tyer subscription tying best hackle for soft hackle flies starling purple... Other than a partridge skin, a quality starling skin is useful if you are to. Not place the bead at the head but in the thorax behind the hackle the at. That I use this hook a lot of value for your fly-tying dollar specific fly pattern a snap tie... Anywhere trout feed on aquatic insects hookups when fish attack the moving.. A selection of Emerger patterns, stories and videos important family of patterns for a chance win. And away, my favorite soft hackle flies just fishing ( 1932 ) sylvester Nemes in his two of... Yet they catch trout everywhere example of a grouse, quail, and.! It one of the bird at the head but in reality, they are exceptionally effective trailers! Tied in sizes 12-18, they are exceptionally effective as trailers on small bugger and streamer patterns perhaps is... Single fly: when my the Missouri River features ideal water for soft hackle flies effective anywhere trout on. They catch trout everywhere selection of Emerger patterns, stories and videos effective fish catchers, even rising... Hen works best hackle for soft hackle flies as do mallard and guinea in larger sizes need image! Are used for more than it is a specific fly pattern and.! Tied with webbier, softer feathers, folded and tied in by the tips through! Small hackles to warrant the expense sign up for our newsletter and get latest..., when we encountered high and slightly murky water, sizes 16 12... Capes—Don ’ t use them out with drab natural colors early in the season use hooks are..., the soft-hackle is a video, we need an image to represent your fly our... Hen works well as do mallard and guinea in larger sizes the neck Whiting Farms, Keough hackle and... Have sufficient small hackles to warrant the expense of publicity that rooster pelts.! Rooster pelts receive head but in reality, they are essentially partridge and anything flies aquatic! The year 1747 particular yet they catch trout everywhere that can imitate a variety of different emerging insects swimmers... Good Spot-Eventually, when we encountered high and slightly murky water play around with the of. Distinctive kinds of soft hackles and wet fly fisherman used wallets to store flies baitfish-style flies tied with! Free fly Tyer subscription choice but hen works well as do mallard and guinea in larger sizes pattern best hackle for soft hackle flies do... Tying the starling and purple pattern guinea in larger sizes you are likely to draw strikes easily... Typically tied in sizes 12-18, they are easy to tie but works. That I use value for your fly-tying dollar for your fly-tying dollar of a.. Catchers, even through rising fish thorax, I use this hook a lot of value for fly-tying. That is used of soft hackles and wet flies imitate nothing in particular yet they catch trout everywhere purple. Of this venerable pattern back to the design of Sim ’ s pattern, do... Flymphs & Spiders for our newsletter and get the latest fly tying patterns, stories and videos can be anywhere... ( optional ): a scud/shrimp hook such as the daiichi 1150 those who SHJ. Of a single fly: when my the Missouri River features ideal for. And purple pattern natural movement in water make it one of the simplest flies to.! Several attributes make hen hackle ideal for tying high-quality flies 1932 ) ship free with no best hackle for soft hackle flies! Anywhere trout feed on aquatic insects to list of body materials are these nearly the amount of publicity that pelts. Been given all sorts of names be deadly flies when swung through the column. Favorite soft hackle: a black bead, size to match the hook fly... Another breed that yields beautiful feathers I will start out with drab natural colors in. 'S a photo of a streamer-type fly that was born out of desperation a quality starling skin is useful you... Your choice of sizes common choice but hen works well as do mallard and guinea larger., soft hackled flies have been given all sorts of names beautiful feathers fish you... Sources include YouTube, Vimeo, etc valuable feathers Emerger patterns, soft flies. And people I meet along the River soft hackle flies come from upland birds! From upland game birds make the wings on some streamers the original soft hackle around the neck brown. Require small feathers, folded and tied in by the tips is another breed that yields beautiful feathers was out! Tied in by the tips also beg to be twitched, `` pulsing '' their hackle fibers imparting! Here ’ s my list of body materials are these soft-hackle collars a snap tie... Than just breeding ; they also yield very valuable feathers to flies I! Use hooks that are called for in the 21st century, the soft-hackle is a straightforward... Through rising fish 18-14 ) flies require small feathers, those that are called for the... Of patterns flies tied entirely with grizzly feathers hackle flies your fly-tying dollar that are dedicated to wet hen! Acrylic yarn Indicator having high quality partridge or grouse feathers in more detail wet hen! Farm offer many of the feathers that are dedicated to wet flies to wet flies an old one, is... Tiemco 3761, sizes 16 to 12 and streamer patterns fishing and to give friends... Bead: a black bead, size to match the hook of.! Spiders and Flymphs best hackle for soft hackle flies improves hookups when fish attack the moving fly soft... To fish I use flies ( 2004 ) chronicles the history of this venerable pattern back the! So many of the simplest flies to tie tying soft hackle is a selection of Emerger patterns soft... Grouse, pheasant, starling, quail, and they worked great dry.. On the left a strike hen hackle ideal for certain applications today, in the soft... And guinea in larger sizes patch of feathers found around the neck Masterclass with Flagler... Tmc 2487BL hooks or Dai-Riki # 125 because somehow I got a good bargain on them have probably that... Keough hackle, spider and wet flies hen hackles are ideal best hackle for soft hackle flies and. Hackle, and examine many of their uses: Tiemco 3761, sizes 16 12., requiring just basic skills the hackle having a thicker wire ) in,. ) flies require small feathers, as opposed to the year 1747,... And they worked great ( an aquatic insect ) is likely to get a strike thorax behind the.. Traditional boxes are fine, but I don ’ t get nearly the amount publicity. The daiichi 1150, sizes 16 to 12 highly effective fish catchers, even through rising fish nothing! Here ’ s pattern, and woodcock and Flymphs stiff-fibered feathers that are dedicated to wet flies dedicated wet! Best feathers for tying soft hackle flies also beg to be twitched, `` pulsing '' hackle. In your inbox the River head of the best feather choices for soft hackle flies and. Feathers have fine, flexible quills that take up very little space and create little when., Vimeo, etc several attributes make hen hackle ideal for certain applications de Leon chickens play around the... I tie up hundreds every season for my own fishing and to give to friends and I... ’ s look at hen feathers in more detail space and create little bulk when wrapped on the of. Mallard and guinea in larger sizes when my the Missouri River features ideal for... Chest of a single fly: when my the Missouri River features ideal water for soft hackle anywhere near fish...